COLUMN: James just the latest in the line of high school-to-NBA stars

Josh Madden

The NBA season came to a close last week as the San Antonio Spurs won their second title in the last five years over the New Jersey Nets. The Finals had some great stories: Future Hall of Famer David Robinson winning a title in his last chance, and the nearly forgotten Steve Kerr hitting three-point shots when the Spurs needed them the most.

But those stories are already fading. All of the teams in the NBA, including the Spurs, are already making the off-season moves they need to make their teams ready for next season. In fact, there is talk of the Spurs trying to sign the Nets’ point guard, Jason Kidd.

Although off-season trades are typically what help a team improve quickly, the biggest event in the NBA off-season is nearly upon us — the 2003 NBA Draft. This year’s draft class looks as though it could be one of the best in years. The class is littered with players of all shapes and sizes ranging from a seven-footer who can shoot the ball from anywhere on the floor (European import Darko Milicic) to a small, shifty assists machine (Texas point guard T. J. Ford). A couple of Iowans will likely go in the top half of the first round in former Kansas players Kirk Hinrich and Nick Collison, but the real story of the draft lies in one player — high school standout LeBron James.

Dubbed “King” by the media, James had NBA scouts salivating for a long time, drawing comparisons to Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan — all while he was just getting his driver’s license and attending his junior prom. With his great passing, shooting and defense, James has proven time and time again that he can do it all.

But only against high school kids.

Granted, he did look like a man among boys out on the court during his high school career, but the fact that he hasn’t proven himself against the higher level of competition great college players go up against has some people asking themselves whether or not James can really live up to the hype.

To answer that question, let’s compare James to some other players who came straight out of high school with high expectations.

Start with the Timberwolves’ Kevin Garnett. As one of the first players to make the jump from high school to the NBA, Garnett is thought by many to have started the whole “skipping school for big NBA bucks” craze. When he was drafted fifth overall by Minnesota in 1995, the Wolves were one of the worst teams in the league. After having a mediocre rookie year, Garnett quickly developed into the player his team desperately needed, almost single-handedly taking Minnesota from permanent cellar-dweller to perennial playoff team in only a few short years.

Then there’s Kobe Bryant. Taken 13th overall in the 1996 draft, Bryant, along with Shaquille O’Neal, helped his Lakers become the best team in the NBA, as they won three titles in a row before being dethroned by the Spurs this year. Kobe is another player with whom James is frequently compared. Both are quick, have good size and can score from anywhere. But, a fair question: Would Kobe really be that good if he didn’t have Shaq on his team?

Another player who entered the league straight out of high school, and is very similar to James, is the Orlando Magic’s Tracy McGrady. T-Mac was originally drafted by the struggling Toronto Raptors, where he struggled for his first three years in the league. However, after McGrady moved to Orlando, a team with a better supporting cast, he blossomed into one of the best players in the NBA, leading his team to the playoffs and being the league’s leading scorer this season.

With the third pick in the 2000 draft, the L.A. Clippers drafted prep star Darius Miles, a player who was supposed to be either the next Kobe or T-Mac. Miles has yet to live up to that billing. Now a Cavalier, Miles hasn’t impressed anybody yet, failing to average double figures in his first three years. He’s only 21, though.

Finally, there’s Kwame Brown. Taken first overall in the 2001 draft by the dismal Washington Wizards, Brown was supposed to be the team’s savior, but he has been anything but. In his first two years, Brown has only averaged six points and less than five rebounds per game — pretty sorry for a guy who’s 6—11. Even under the tutelage of Michael Jordan, Brown has managed to be nothing more than a pain in MJ’s side.

So what about LeBron: Will he be the next Kobe or the next Kwame?

Like Brown and Miles, James will be headed to a terrible team when the Cleveland Cavaliers draft him with the first pick Thursday. But his situation is still better than that of either Brown or Miles. The Cavs recently acquired a head coach who has proven that he can win with bad teams in former New Orleans Hornets coach Paul Silas, and James will be surrounded by a lot of young talented players like Ricky Davis, Dajuan Wagner and Miles. Both of these factors point to success for young LeBron.

As to whether James can live up to the massive amount of hype that is synonymous with his name — I say yes, most definitely.

I have never seen a player as young as he is who has mastered all facets of the game — scoring, rebounding, passing, defense — as well as he has. The numbers back it up: James averaged 30.4 points, 9.7 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 2.9 steals in his senior season, and his team, Akron, Ohio’s St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, won its third state championship in four years.

It sure would have been fun to see James play some college ball, but look at it this way: At least the Cyclones will never have to play against him.