Students, residents have wide variety of responses to decision

The news that ISU men’s basketball coach Larry Eustachy would be suspended with pay after his termination was recommended to university officials struck nerves among the student body and around Ames.

The reactions came after two press conferences Wednesday — one during which Eustachy apologized for his actions and admitted he was seeking counseling for alcoholism, and another in which Athletics Director Bruce Van De Velde announced that he recommends Eustachy be fired.

Eustachy’s press conference began slightly after 1 p.m., when he had full knowledge of his recommended termination. Van De Velde spoke at about 4:30 p.m. But the buzz about Eustachy that began earlier this week when The Des Moines Register printed photographs of Eustachy at a party — drinking, kissing women on the cheek and being kissed on the cheek — was pushed to full force.

“[It’s] a very important role that we play as coaches,” said Lyle Smith, former Iowa State head baseball coach.

Young student athletes look to their coaching staff as role models, he said. As adults, coaches and people, they all need to deal with the ramifications and consequences of their actions, Smith said.

He said he feels bad for Iowa State because there are a lot of good people who are a part of the university. He also said he feels sorry for Eustachy and former assistant coach Randy Brown for the incidents that have happened to each of them.

“[I] don’t relish in someone’s misfortune,” Smith said. The people of Iowa State will overcome this and move on, he said.

‘Not proper for a married person’

One ISU student said she was glad with Van De Velde’s decision to recommend Eustachy’s termination due to his behavior, as she’s witnessed Eustachy’s behavior while at Ames bars.

“Someone called him over to our table, but he stayed there a little bit beyond his welcome,” said Heather Kuhl, senior in accounting, referring to an evening earlier this semester at Welch Avenue Station, 207 Welch Ave.

Kuhl said Eustachy was stumbling and drinking when he approached her and her friends.

“He was very drunk and he came over to our table and was trying to buy us drinks,” said Kuhl, who said she had not been drinking that night.

During the 10 to 15 minutes he spent with Kuhl and her friends, she said Eustachy began making vulgar comments.

“We were playing this ‘beaver’ game where you had to add ‘beaver’ to the end of a movie title,” she said. “He said during that, ‘Well, you know what I like? Shaved beaver. You should let someone shave your beaver at some point in your life.’ “

Kuhl said she does not approve of Eustachy’s behavior — which she described as “not proper for a married person” — and wants the university to fire him for the embarrassment he has caused Iowa State.

“I think he’s a role model to little kids and to a lot of people,” she said. “A lot of people look up to him and I think that kind of behavior is unacceptable.

“I think we’re getting a negative rap — no one ever talks about Iowa State until he does something like this.”

That national attention has created a great deal of pressure on the administration because they have to make everyone happy, said Jamie Klein, sophomore in exercise and sports science.

“[It’s] pretty disappointing, [but] it shows something if he has been in treatment,” Klein said.

Darin Enderton, junior in horticulture, said it is inappropriate for a coach to party with the opposing school after a loss.

‘[This] proves he’s human’

Others in Ames thought the coach’s actions did not justify termination, though plans for reprimanding Eustachy varied.

“I do think he should be punished somehow because … he is supposed to represent the university and I don’t think he represented the university,” said Ann Puffett, senior in music.

Puffett said Eustachy should not be fired because that would cost a great deal of money. Instead, Puffett proposed requiring Eustachy to travel with the team rather than separately in a recreational vehicle.

Of Eustachy at the press conference, Jordan Wiese, an employee of Wallaby’s, 3720 Lincoln Way, said “I think he was really very honest and I don’t think it was very easy for him,” Wiese said. “I think what his wife said about dealing with alcoholism made sense — it’s going to be hard for him. But I’m sure with the support of his wife, and his kids and his family and the program, I’m sure he can do a good job of taking care of his problem, and putting it behind him and putting the Cyclones in the winning category.”

Wiese said he’s not sure whether Eustachy should be fired, but that he should do what’s right for the team and for himself. Eustachy’s announcement that he would not resign from his position came as no surprise to Cassie Featherstun, an employee at Tip Top Lounge, 201 E. Lincoln Way.

“I think it’s pretty typical of what he would probably do — say he’s not going to resign, just because anybody who makes that kind of money’s not going to resign,” Featherstun said. “I also think it’s nice that his wife is supporting him.” She said she doesn’t believe Eustachy should be fired, but should be reprimanded.

“[This] proves he’s human,” said Jim Seevers, junior in agronomy. Eustachy made a mistake and should be able to seek help for his alcoholism, not be fired, Seevers said.

Brian Mertes, an employee of the West Ames Hy-Vee, 3800 West Lincoln Way, said Eustachy should not be fired.

“I think he should be reprimanded for [his actions] and maybe pay a fine,” Mertes said. “Just because he has a problem doesn’t mean he can’t coach.”