Students, alumnus involved in accident

Nicole Paseka

An ISU alumnus who was struck by an oncoming pick-up truck near Maple-Willow-Larch was treated at Mary Greeley Medical Center Thursday.

Daniel Hilmers, 4112 Lincoln Swing St., was injured while walking west across Wallace Road.

The accident occurred at 5:31 p.m. near the intersection of Richardson Court Drive and Wallace Road, said ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger.

Hilmers was treated for several injuries, including cuts and abrasions, Deisinger said.

Travis Fink, freshman in agricultural business, had just exited Lot 63 near Maple-Willow-Larch and was driving southbound in a red 1984 Chevrolet pick-up when he struck Hilmers.

Mike Schrum, freshman in agricultural business, was the only passenger.

“We were just coming around and turning, and the next thing I knew, we hit a kid,” Schrum said.

Schrum said the truck was not going very fast, because it had just turned. Schrum said he and Fink did not see the victim until it was too late.

“We saw the look on his face, and that was it,” he said.

Fink said the victim “came out of nowhere.”

“I looked one way and didn’t see anything,” he said.

Schrum said he and Fink were on their way to a meeting when the accident occurred.

Witnesses at the scene of the accident described the truck turning onto Wallace Road and striking a young man, who flew several feet into the air.

ISU Police officers and paramedics loaded the man into the ambulance, while the red Chevrolet truck sat in the middle of the street.

A crowd of more than 30 students stood at a nearby corner, staring blankly at the victim, whose arms were stained with blood.

Although a large gash was etched across the victim’s head, he was conscious when paramedics loaded him into the ambulance.

Tom Hagerty, freshman in pre-architecture, witnessed the accident.

“I turned around and looked and heard a big thud and ran over here,” Hagerty said.

He said the victim flew about four or five feet into the air.

“He got flopped around,” Hagerty said.

Sarah Feltman, sophomore in exercise and sport science, also witnessed the accident.

“I heard his tires squealing, like when you get off to a good start,” she said.

Deisinger said there have been no citations issued at this time, and the accident is still under investigation.

“It doesn’t appear Mr. Hilmers was in the crosswalk,” he said.

The intersection where Hilmers was struck is a “very high-traffic area,” Deisinger said.

The volume of traffic and pedestrians along the road was one of the motivations to reduce the number of lanes of Wallace Road, he said.

Officials at Mary Greeley Medical Center were unable to comment on the condition of Hilmers Thursday night.

Several attempts to contact Hilmers were unsuccessful.