ISU students to perform, ride in Road Show USA

Natalie Spray

Six ISU students will be traveling across the country this summer, bicycling and street performing to raise money for the Shriners Hospitals for Children.

Road Show USA will cover 47,000 miles over 72 days, an average of about 67 miles each day.

“It takes some time to ride across the United States,” said Jesse Shumaker, who is coordinating the event as part of his Honors project.

Each rider will be carrying camping equipment, gear and personal necessities, all of which weighs a total of 80 pounds, he said.

During street performances along the route, participants will juggle, double stick, make balloon animals, perform magic and use comedy “to tie it all together,” Shumaker said.

The group will begin June 5 in Austoria, Ore., and finish in Boston on Aug. 15.

The cyclists will go through Yellowstone National Park and Hoosier Pass.

They will then join the Des Moines Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (better known as RAGBRAI), pass by Niagara Falls and will present the gift money to the Shriners Children’s Hospital in Boston at the end of the trek, Shumaker said.

“No one has ever done anything quite like this,” he said.

Mike Seger, another participant, said he is anticipating the journey.

“I am looking forward to seeing the diversity of the country, the people and the scenery,” he said.

The donation goal of the trip is to raise enough money to run Shriners Hospitals for one day, which is $1.75 million, he said.

Seger said the group chose the Shriners Hospitals because it was the type of charity they were looking to support, and the organization wanted the help.

“It’s a good match,” he said.

Shriners Hospitals provide free orthopedic and burn care for children under 18. Money can be donated through the mail, on the group’s Web site, www.roadshowusa.org, or at street performances.

As part of training, the group has cycled to Boone and back.

Once a rider is comfortable with trekking long distances, weight can be added, Shumaker said.

It requires more work to ride uphill and more strength and time to steer and stop.

“[Riding with additional weight] is a different ball game,” he said.

Seger said he became addicted to long distance cycling after riding in RAGBRAI three years ago. He hasn’t been training much, but said he will ride more once classes are over for the semester.

“After a few weeks, we’ll hopefully be in the 70-mile-a-day range,” he said.

Road Show USA is affiliated with Masonic Lodges, which will help publicize shows and find camps for the riders. None of the riders are Masons or Shriners, Shumaker said.

Riders will be wearing jerseys with the names of sponsors printed on them. Sponsors for the trip are True Wheel Bicycle Company, Tech to Go, The Amazing Arthur, Renegade Juggling, Great Western Bank, E-services Corporation and the Government of the Student Body.