Earth Week begins with speeches, opening of lot

Natalie Spray

Students and campus organizations will celebrate Earth Week by planting “seeds of change” for environmental awareness and concern.

The week surrounding Earth Day, which is Tuesday, was formally declared Earth Week in 1990 by the National Parent-Teacher Association.

“Earth Week isn’t different than any other week other than the fact it provides an opportunity to raise awareness for environmental concerns,” said Robert Dietz, Student Environmental Council president.

The Student Environmental Council and Amnesty International will set up an information table from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday south of Parks Library. Information about global warming, recycling and other Earth Day activities will be available, said Dietz, junior in environmental science.

Iowa State and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources will dedicate and open parking lot 41, which is a new glasphalt lot, at 4 p.m. Wednesday. The lot is located near the forestry greenhouse.

Glasphalt is an asphalt mix that uses ground glass as a main ingredient. Approximately 20 tons of recycled glass were collected in Ames and the container, windowpane and fluorescent tube components gathered were used in Lot 41.

“The event showcases an efficient and environmental friendly use of resources,” Dietz said.

Chad Pregracke will present “The River Cleanup Talk” at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

Pregracke is known for his efforts to clean up the Mississippi River; he goes up and down the river on a barge collecting trash, Dietz said.

Many student organizations will combine efforts at 1 p.m. Saturday to clean a portion of College Creek. The selected portion of the creek runs from Hayward to Sheldon avenues, said James Colbert, associate professor of botany.

Participants will be picking up trash in the river, he said.

The goal of the afternoon is not only “to improve the atheistic quality of the creek,” but also to raise awareness of water quality and issues, Colbert said.

“Streams and rivers are the last of the semi-natural areas left which need to be protected,” he said. “If people aren’t aware [the streams and rivers are in danger] they aren’t likely to protect them.”