Veterinary medicine professor honored for bioterrorism series

William Dillon

The Iowa Distance Learning Association has selected an ISU professor to receive its 2003 Innovator of the Year Award.

Eldon Uhlenhopp, associate professor of veterinary medicine, was recognized for the five-part series “Livestock Security and Bioterrorism Defense,” which he spearheaded in February and March. The series focused on the hazards of bioterrorism on livestock, what to do in the event of an outbreak and homeland security.

The final session of the series included a computer-generated outbreak scenario on what to do in case of an outbreak and how it would occur.

“The Innovator award is given to innovative individuals who contribute to distance learning through outstanding teaching, program design and development, innovations in methods, technique and technology, and advocacy,” said Carla Knutson, board member and former president of the Iowa Distance Learning Association.

Uhlenhopp, coordinator of livestock security and bioterrorism safety for the Outreach Academy for Veterinary Medicine and Rural Community Development, teamed up with the Iowa Communications Network, a high-speed fiber-optic network, to broadcast the series.

It was broadcast to televisions at about 35 sites across Iowa, including private practice veterinary clinics, local government officials, local law enforcement, county emergency management coordinators and ISU Extension specialists.

The use of the Iowa Communications Network allowed the audiences to interact directly with presenters from any site across the state, he said. “[It] is the perfect mechanism to distribute this kind of information,” Uhlenhopp said.

With recent outbreaks of foot-and-mouth disease in the United Kingdom, Uhlenhopp stressed the importance of informing audiences about possible outbreaks. “It was almost a must to provide this kind of information,” he said.

The use of the network was funded by a grant awarded by the United States Department of Agriculture to Uhlenhopp and Nolan Hartwig, professor and chairman of the Veterinary Diagnostic and Production Animal Medicine and the head of veterinary extension.

“The IDLA is a fairly well recognized group in Iowa,” Uhlenhopp said. “[The award] is a meaningful recognition.”

Uhlenhopp received the award at a ceremony at the Five Sullivan Brothers Convention Center in Waterloo on April 3.