Affirmative action discussed by panel

Natalie Spray

President Gregory Geoffroy told an audience of more than 200 people Wednesday that although affirmative action may change, it should not be abandoned.

Students, faculty and staff were present at the third and final campus conversation on diversity, which focused on the possible effect on Iowa State by the pending U.S. Supreme Court decision regarding the University of Michigan’s affirmative action admissions policies.

Affirmative action is a topic important not only to Iowa State, but to the nation as well, Geoffroy said. It provides effective tools which can be used to strengthen the nation and provide previously denied opportunities for people of an ethnic minority.

“[Diversity] has provided a more valuable and effective education to all students who are members of a diverse environment,” he said.

In response to the debate in the Supreme Court, Iowa State has already done a risk-benefit analysis of its programs. The same objective of race-exclusive programs at Iowa State can still be achieved by focusing on affirmative action, Geoffroy said.

Diversity is a high priority at Iowa State, and it is shown through the number of diversity-related initiatives presented by academic units, Geoffroy said.

Iowa State will stand and fight when there are challenges to its core affirmative action programs, he said.

Evie Myers, associate director for the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity, spoke on behalf of scheduled speaker Carla Espinoza.

She quoted former President Lyndon Johnson’s definition of diversity saying, “We seek not just freedom, but opportunity.”

Affirmative action is not just a race issue, she said. It encompasses people with various disabilities, national origins, age, sex, race, color and religion.

“Affirmative action is just trying to even the playing field for qualified applicants,” she said.

Panelist Paul Tanaka, chief university counsel, talked about possible Supreme Court decisions. The court may keep with the status quo, it may devise a new standard or it may simply say diversity is not a rationale for affirmative action, he said.

Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller has been supportive of affirmative action in higher education and has expressed support for the University of Michigan. This is good because it means if the case were to be brought against Iowa State, the university would have the attorney general’s backing, he said.

Regardless of the decision of the Supreme Court, Iowa State will need to review the effectiveness of its programs, Tanaka said.

“Diversity is a complex issue that impacts the quality of life of all [ISU] students and the community of Ames,” said Marc Harding, forum panelist and director of admissions.

It is not only the classroom experiences of a student, but also the outside experiences that shape the type of citizen he or she will become, Harding said. It is important as a university to provide the most vibrant, engaging and diverse environment possible.

The forum helped participants to understand the possible implications of the Supreme Court’s decision, which is important information for students and staff to know, said Debra Sanborn, program coordinator for retention programs in the Dean of Students Office.

Geoffroy said he is pleased with the success of the conversations on diversity and he wants to continue the conversations in the next academic year.