Reward offered in vandalism incidents

Jill Sederstrom

ISU Police are offering a $500 reward to anyone with information about the vandalism incidents on campus containing derogatory remarks toward the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

The reward is offered to anyone who may have helpful information concerning vandalism incidents that occurred March 6 and Nov. 18.

The words “ISU Fag Rag” were written in black spray paint on the wall between Hamilton Hall and Landscape Architecture on March 6. “Die Fag Die” was spray painted on the outside of the Durham Center building and “Dean of Fags” was spray painted on the Student Services building Nov. 18.

Police do not know whether any of these incidents are related at this point, said ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger.

“At this point in the investigation we have very few leads generated,” he said.

Deisinger said police hope someone might have been at a gathering, in class or received an e-mail where they heard someone using similar language. He said information like this would give police a starting point for investigations.

The reward is being offered to help find those responsible for the crimes and prevent this situation from escalating further, Deisinger said.

“The nature in which this was done is frightening,” he said.

Deisinger said everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but whoever is responsible for the vandalism needs to find more appropriate ways for expressing themselves.

Jeremy Hayes, coordinator for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Student services office, said he hopes the reward will be helpful in finding the individuals responsible for the crimes.

“I think it is great that the ISU Police are stepping up and trying to find who is behind this to prevent this from happening in the future,” Hayes said.

Todd Herriott, adviser for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Alliance, agreed the reward might improve the chances of finding the culprits.”It’s sad to say, but most people aren’t going to do anything unless there is something in it for them,” he said.

Herriott said he hopes others will show support for the reward as well.”I would like to challenge people in the community to add on to that reward, to make it more sizable,” he said.

Even if the individuals responsible are found, Herriott said the ignorance and intolerance behind these type of actions needs to be eliminated.

“Let’s try to see if we can’t prevent these kind of instances on campus from happening on campus ever again, against any group,” Herriott said. Hayes and Herriott both said they believe several improvements can be made.

Anyone with information on these crimes should call the ISU Police at 294-4428.