Professor elected as fellow of worldwide engineering society

Alicia Allen

He may be the director of Iowa State’s Virtual Reality Applications Center, but James Bernard’s pioneering research in the College of Engineering is not an illusion.

Bernard, distinguished professor of engineering, has been named a fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).

Bernard said he was notified earlier in the year. “I got a call from someone connected with ASME,” he said. “It is a wonderful honor, I am pleased to have received it.”

Ted Okiishi, associate dean of the College of Engineering, said Bernard is deserving of the honor.

“He is considered a leading researcher in the specialty of vehicle dynamics, and his service as director of the Virtual Reality Applications Center on campus has been extraordinary,” Okiishi said.

Okiishi said Bernard has earned the respect of the department. “He is very well respected for his mentoring of students and faculty,” he said. “A number of his former students have excelled as entrepreneurs.”

Bernard said the award recognizes exceptional engineering achievements and contributions. “It is the highest elected grade of membership,” he said.

Bernard said fellows have a responsibility to maintain activity and leadership roles within the society and profession.

“There are expectations,” he said. “You must be dedicated to professional goals.”

Okiishi said the process of nominating someone for a fellow can take months and involves several individuals.

“One lead nominator organizes a team of five nominators to support the proposed election to fellow membership,” he said. “Nominations are then considered by a panel of past presidents of ASME.” Okiishi said there are about 2,500 living fellows out of the society membership of nearly 130,000.

The requirements for earning the award are at least 10 years of active engineering practice and significant contributions to the engineering field, according to the society’s Web site at www.asme.org.

The society is a worldwide engineering society that focuses on technical, educational and research issues.

Bernard received his bachelor’s degree, master’s degree and doctorate in engineering mechanics from the University of Michigan. In 1983, he joined the mechanical engineering faculty at Iowa State as department chairman.

Bernard served as the founding director of the Iowa Center for Emerging Manufacturing Technology at Iowa State, which has since been renamed the Virtual Reality Applications Center, in 1990.