Student receives deferred judgment in child porn case

Jill Sederstrom

An ISU student arrested Oct. 23 on five felony counts of sexual exploitation of a minor was given deferred judgment by a Story County judge on Monday.

Buckley Necker, senior in agricultural education, pleaded guilty to one count of sexual exploitation of a minor on Feb. 10. The Story County Attorney’s office agreed to drop the remaining four charges.

Necker was sentenced in the Story County Courthouse by Judge Ronald Schechtman to a probation period of four years. Necker must also serve 100 hours of community service, submit to sexual offender evaluation and follow the recommendations of the evaluator and register with the Iowa Sex Offender Registry.

Schechtman also said Necker should not have continuous contact with anyone under the age of 12.

If Necker complies with these terms and does not have any repeat offenses in the next four years, the charge will not appear on his criminal record.

“If you step out of line … you will be yanked,” Schechtman told Necker in court.

Necker apologized in a statement read to the court, the state and his family and friends.

“I guess I’d like to say I’d like a second chance,” Necker said.

He said he understood the gravity of the charges brought against him, and that he was sorry about what he had done.

Story County Assistant Attorney Mary Howell Sirna asked for a harsher sentence for Necker. She said she believed the charges were something that should be on Necker’s permanent record.

Necker’s attorney, Scott Hippen, asked the judge for deferred judgment. He said Necker should be granted deferred judgment because he had no prior criminal record and it would give Necker the opportunity to continue schooling and create a better life.

Schechtman said in court some people may say he made a soft judgment, but he doesn’t agree. He said Necker will still face consequences for his actions.

“The only difference [between deferred judgment and a standard sentence] is there would be a fine, and you would have it on your record,” Schechtman said.

Necker is not the only ISU student facing charges related to child pornography this academic year. Jeremy Leo, freshman in meteorology, was also charged in October 2002 with 17 aggravated misdemeanor counts of sexual exploitation of a minor.

According to court documents, Leo has entered a plea of guilty to one count.

However, the court has asked that Leo resubmit the guilty plea because his previous plea relates to an interference with official acts charge. The new plea would relate to an aggravated misdemeanor charge.

Leo has until March 18 to resubmit his guilty plea.

Gregory Hudgens, freshman in pre-computer science, was also charged with eight counts of sexual exploitation of a minor Dec. 9, 2002.

According to court documents, Hudgens is scheduled to appear before a jury trial at the Story County Courthouse at 9 a.m. March 20.