Fraternity receives call to shut down

Emily Sickelka

The charter of the Beta Alpha chapter of Delta Sigma Phi fraternity at Iowa State has been revoked by its Grand Council.

The decision was made after reports that members had been disrespectful to women and destroyed property during a visit to a brother house at Kansas State University in November.

According to a statement from the Grand Council received Thursday night, the chapter, located at 218 Ash Ave., will be closed immediately and current undergraduate members will receive alumni status.

According to Daily staff reports, ISU fraternity members were also suspected to be involved in underage drinking and stolen property. Members had traveled to the brother house to take place in a traditional “sneak,” in which incoming members visit other chapters to meet and get acquainted during fall semester.

During the visit, Ben Procter, public relations coordinator for Delta Sigma Phi at Kansas State, said, “there was general disrespect for the house here at [Kansas State].”

“The actions of chapter members are in clear contradiction to what Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity stands for,” said Delta Sigma Phi Executive Director Scott Wiley in a statement released Thursday night. “We will not tolerate behavior that is inconsistent with the high standards of conduct that Delta Sigma Phi men pledge themselves to uphold.”

Alisa Frandsen, program coordinator for the Dean of Students Office, could not be reached for comment.

Representatives from the Grand Council of Delta Sigma Phi and the Kansas State University chapter of the fraternity could not be reached for comment.

ISU Delta Sigma Phi President Andy Klobnock said the university does not have jurisdiction over the house, and members will continue to live together in the building as though it were an apartment. He said next year, the fraternity plans to reorganize.

Klobnock declined to comment further on the charter being revoked or on the events that occurred in November at Kansas State University.

Delta Sigma Phi was founded Dec. 10, 1899, at the College of the City of New York. It currently has nearly 4,500 undergraduate members at 103 chapters. The house has been on the ISU campus since 1949.