Council may change shape with ISU seat

Jessica Graham

The Ames City Council could begin a new chapter Tuesday night if it decides to add a non-voting student to its ranks.

Mayor Ted Tedesco, the Government of the Student Body and council members said they are optimistic that adding a student voice to the council will be beneficial for the City of Ames.

Tedesco said he has been pushing for a student liaison for a year and a half and would welcome this opportunity.

“We need to have that communication,” he said. “The important thing is simply the mechanism of communication because it’s a nonvoting position.”

Councilman Russ Cross said the idea was sparked by a similar situation in College Park, Md., where its city council created a nonvoting student liaison position last spring. College Park is the home of the University of Maryland.

Stephen Brayman, mayor of College Park, said Eric Swalwell, vice president for Campus Affairs for the University of Maryland’s Student Government Association, was appointed to the position.

“I think Mr. Swalwell has contributed greatly,” he said. “Particularly on certain topics, he rallies students to come out and give their opinions.”

Cross said he hopes adding an ex-officio student representative to the council would provide the same benefits to Ames.

“It will help us better understand the potential impact of proposed ordinances and regulations upon the university community,” he said.

Joe Darr, Government of the Student Body vice president, said a student liaison on the Ames City Council would be a huge step for students.

“A lot of issues we have, they don’t even get to hear what we think about it and they pass things without even hearing from students,” he said.

On Tuesday the council will also consider the second passage of an ordinance that would ban all-you-can-drink alcohol specials from Ames bars. Each proposed ordinance must be approved by the council three times before it becomes law.

Darr said he doesn’t think the ordinance will pass.

“I definitely don’t think a specific ban would pass because students enjoy those kinds of things,” he said.

Cross said there may be other alternatives to banning drink buffets.

“I don’t believe it’s the only way to reduce binge drinking,” Cross said.

“I think we need to better understand how binge drinking occurs in Ames and the source of binge drinking,” he said.

Tedesco said banning these drink specials could help save lives in Ames.

“[I support] anything that defers binge drinking, which is a detriment to the health and safety of all people,” he said.

The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. in council chambers at 515 Clark Ave.