Clowning Around

Lucas Grundmeier

Students who were accosted by Princess Pinky, Clownco and other clowns near the Lied Recreation Center Friday morning should not have been alarmed.

The clowns’ car stalled on their way to join nearly 100 other clowns in an attempt to bring the weekend to Iowa State early. The clowns — including one who was wearing a dress, ballerina skirt, wig and gloves, all in shades of purple and pink —were part of an Introduction to Creativity Course.

Dan Rice, lead clown and academic adviser for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said the clown activity was a way to help students use their minds in different ways — and bring joy to people’s hearts.

“Are you ready to go forth onto the campus and to give joy to all the studious students of Iowa State University?” he yelled.

An assembly of white-faced, wigged students, many with poorly fitted pants, shouted back in the affirmative before fanning out to do the business of clowning.

Margie Jennings, senior in journalism and mass communication, was among the students who toured the campus as clowns Friday.

Rice said the class is gaining popularity and will be listed as Liberal Arts and Sciences 129 in spring 2004.

Most student clowns said they didn’t mind wearing their attention-grabbing outfits.

“I love the looks on people’s faces,” said Aaron Siders, junior in pre-advertising. Siders wore a dirty suit, a ragged beard and a big smile. “I’m playing the playboy tramp — the guy who’s just kind of given up on everything. [This class] gives me a break from reality.”

Some clowns said they spent a long time preparing costumes for the class, but almost all said they had a good time doing it.

“I got random stuff out of people’s closets,” said Kelly Kaiser, junior in elementary education. She said she preferred to be identified as Blast from the Past, the ’80s clown.

“I had no idea that we’d be dressing up like clowns [in this class],” said Anna Phipps, junior in elementary education. She admitted her costume came out of her own closet.

Clowns visited offices, hallways, the day care in the Palmer Building, and braved chilly temperatures and a north wind to grace Central Campus with their presence.

Phyllis Kendall, record analyst in curriculum and instruction, said the clowns visited her office, singing, “We Wish You a Merry Clown Day.” “It really brightened my day,” she said.

Doug Otto, junior in elementary education, said clowning was harder than it looked.

“Some people laugh at you. Some people don’t even look at you. And some people want to beat you up,” he said.

Jacob Lynch, junior in computer science, said learning how to be creative involves a lot more than wearing a silly costume. “We do puppet shows and marshmallow wars, too,” he said.

Before releasing students in each of three class sections to begin spreading joy, Rice made sure they understood the policy.

“What’s the first rule of clowning?” he asked.

“There are no rules,” the clowns answered in unison.