Recruitment strategy key to greek system

Katie Drake

A marketing task force has been formed to combat declining numbers in the ISU greek system.

The number of ISU freshmen joining fraternities or sororities has decreased by 2.3 percent in the last two years, according to the Office of Greek Affairs. Total membership in the greek houses has gone down 1 percent since fall of 2000.

Alisa Frandsen, assistant dean of students for greek affairs, said the ISU sorority Alpha Xi Delta, Epsilon Phi chapter, is closing at the end of this semester due solely to low membership numbers.

According to the marketing task force’s plan, the group is aimed at recruiting new students to join greek houses,

“We have a goal of increasing numbers some way or another,” said Katie Boes, a task force member.

Boes, senior in journalism and mass communication, said one of the biggest things the task force is doing is sending a recruitment magazine to all incoming freshmen.

She said before this magazine, the greek system at Iowa State had never sent anything out to each incoming freshman. This magazine will include basic information about the fraternities and sororities on campus.

“We just want students to make the best decision for them and give them all the information they need to make this decision,” Boes said.

Leigh Thiedeman, a task force member and a senior in English, said four $500 scholarships will be offered by the greek system to incoming students. Two will be awarded during the Greek Getaway weekend. The other two scholarships will be awarded at Destination Iowa State next fall.

The marketing plan also includes the presence of greek house members at events, including the Iowa State Fair. Boes said the task force plans on hosting more events to involve the entire campus and increase personal interaction with students.

Included in the plan is also a parent mailing, which will consist of a letter from the Office of Greek Affairs, a letter from a parent of a greek member and a pamphlet with facts about the ISU greek system.

In addition to the task force, Frandsen said the Interfraternity Council is planning a retreat for fraternity recruitment chairmen.

Frandsen said recruitment chairmen are younger and have less greek experience than many participants.

The retreat is a way to provide them with training for their job. Some issues that will be addressed at the recruitment retreat include making an effective sales pitch and identifying the role and responsibilities of the recruitment chairman, she said.

Iowa State’s greek system isn’t the only one trying to increase its numbers.

Kellie Hampel, one of last year’s recruitment coordinators for the Panhellenic Council at the University of Northern Iowa is also working on increasing numbers.

She said the number of women going through formal recruitment has gone down at UNI. Due to these lower numbers, the Panhellenic Council at UNI has increased its public relations.

“We got our chapter members more involved last year,” Hampel said. “We had more aggressive recruitment at orientation.”

Thiedeman said recruitment is an important part of involving people in the greek system.

“This is beneficial to the entire community,” Thiedeman said of the marketing plan.

Boes said making people aware of the greek community is also important.

“There are a lot of opportunities in the greek community,” Boes said. “People just need to open their eyes to it.”