Student shoots himself outside Knapp Hall, police say

Jill Sederstrom

Editor’s Note: The name of the student who committed suicide has been released by authorities. However, the Daily’s policy in covering suicides or suicide attempts is to protect the privacy of involved parties unless there is a pressing need for identification. At this point in our coverage, the Daily has opted to protect the privacy of our classmate’s family and friends.

—Cavan Reagan, Editor in Chief

An ISU senior was found dead Saturday in his car outside Knapp Hall from what police believe was a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

ISU Police received a call at about 4:30 p.m. Saturday from a resident of the Towers Residence Association who reported a man was yelling outside of Knapp Hall, said ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger. The witnesses reported to police that the man had some type of weapon, although the type of weapon was not clear.

“Nobody saw a gun at any point in time until the officers got there,” Deisinger said.

Police said the man got into his car and drove to Lot 61, which is located east of Knapp, where he made threatening gestures toward a former acquaintance’s vehicle. Deisinger said witnesses were unclear whether the man struck the vehicle.

The man got back into his car and began driving toward Welch Avenue when ISU Police officers arrived on the scene. The man pulled his car into a parking lot outside of Knapp Hall.

Police saw the individual slumped in his car. His head was slumped to the left, while a shotgun was visible on his right side, Deisinger said. ISU Police called for backup from the Ames Police Department.

ISU and Ames police worked together to secure the vehicle. Deisinger said when officers approached the vehicle they discovered the man had died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. No foul play is suspected.

Deisinger said no witnesses reported hearing a gunshot.

He said police believe the motive for the shooting was related to a failed relationship.

Deisinger did not know whether the man was under the influence of any substances at the time of his death. A medical examiner at Mary Greeley Medical Center, where the body was taken for an autopsy, took tissue samples from the body for tests. The results of those tests are not yet known.

Kate Bruns, communications specialist for the Department of Residence, said she was unaware of Saturday’s incident. She said the residence department has a full-time staff available trained to help students deal with student deaths.

“Our staff is always available for students who feel they need help,” Bruns said.

She also said they would encourage students to call the student counseling center.

According to Daily Staff reports, Michelle Hall, licensed mental health counselor at the Student Counseling Center, said people who are feeling depressed should seek help if they feel life is no longer manageable. “People should always seek help if they have thoughts of harming themselves,” Hall said.

The Student Counseling Service has full-time therapists available to students at no cost. Hall said they also have crisis counselors available at all times. Those interested can call 294-5056.