Long road to recovery

Jill Sederstrom

Posters and messages of encouragement cover the hospital walls. Photos and scrapbooks are lined up on a bookcase next to the bed. A young man sits reclined in a black leather chair, watching the movie “Money Talks” with his father.

At first sight, he might look like an ordinary college kid, but former ISU student Bryan Hooyman has overcome staggering odds to make it to where he is today.

Bryan was involved in a serious car accident Nov. 5 that left him in a deep coma for 16 days. Initially, it wasn’t clear whether Bryan would survive. Now, Bryan has regained consciousness, and has begun the slow road to recovery.

The Daily visited Bryan at the Covenant Hospital in Waterloo Wednesday night to talk with him about his recent improvements.

Joe, Bryan’s father, said Bryan has made tremendous progress in the last 10 days. Bryan still has problems with short-term memory, but that continues to get better each day, he said.

Bryan will now be able to remember the Daily’s visit, Joe said, when only last month he was unable to remember how to make it from the bathroom in his room back to his bed.

As a result of brain injury, Bryan is suffering from retrograde amnesia and is unable to remember much of the last eight months of his life. He doesn’t remember his days at Iowa State or the accident. Joe said over time this will also improve, although it is unlikely Bryan will ever remember his accident or the first month he spent in the Iowa Methodist Hospital in Des Moines.

Bryan’s recent improvements have earned him a long-awaited reward. He will receive a day pass to go home this weekend for the first time since the accident.

“I am feeling good and I can’t wait to get back home,” Bryan said.

Bryan will probably spend another three to four weeks in the hospital until he is able to go home for good, Joe said.

Bryan’s home visit is not the only thing he is looking forward to. A group of 15 ISU students will break into three groups to visit Bryan in the hospital. Bryan said he is excited about the visit and hopes it will help jog his memory about his life at Iowa State this summer and fall.

He’s getting support from more than just friends and families, too. Bryan, a huge Vikings fan, received a package from a former Vikings player with words of encouragement and signed memorabilia.

Bryan’s former high school football coach, Tom Girsch, stopped by the hospital room to visit Wednesday night. Girsch gave Bryan a hug and words of encouragement.

“You’re up and movin’, man,” Girsch said.

Bryan said he has been offered an honorary coaching position at his old high school next year.

Although Bryan enjoys the social interactions, there is also a lot of work involved in his recovery. Initially, the left side of Bryan’s body was paralyzed.

Wednesday night he was able to stand up and walk around the halls unaided. He still has a weak left arm, but goes to physical therapy daily to help regain the 40 pounds of muscle he lost while in his coma, Joe said.

Bryan’s road to recovery will not be easy. He has had to relearn how to do everything, Joe said, from how to hold his head up to what is socially acceptable and what isn’t.

During the day, Bryan spends his time going to physical therapy, speech therapy, answering his e-mail and doing mental gymnastics where he relearns things like reading, gambling, and how to count money.

Bryan will continue to improve over the next two years. His parents are uncertain whether he will ever be able to return to Iowa State, but they are encouraged by the progress he has made these last few days.

“He woke up,” Joe said. “After three months, he finally woke up.”