Ladies’ Night in danger of extinction

Jill Sederstrom

The fate of Ladies’ Nights and alcohol buffets may hang upon an ordinance being reviewed by the City Council —ÿa limitation some ISU students say will hurt Ames bars more than it solves binge-drinking problems.

The council must pass the proposed ordinance three times before it becomes city law, and will vote on the ordinance a second time at its meeting Tuesday.

Local law enforcement officials and City Council members support the ordinance, while students at two Ames bars —ÿonly one of which currently features a Ladies’ Night special —ÿsaid they were opposed to the proposition.

“Students won’t go out during the week if you don’t have anything like this,” said Kari Freyberger, senior in dietetics, who was out during last Thursday’s Ladies Night at Big Shots, 2522 Chamberlain St.

Freyberger said she believes drink specials and Ladies’ Nights bring in business for local bars during the week.

City Council members argue, however, that all-you-can-drink specials encourage irresponsible drinking.

“The intent is to use [the ordinance] to discourage binge drinking and excessive alcohol abuse,” said Sharon Wirth, Ames City Council member since 1990.

Students have argued such an ordinance would not deter binge drinking, it would simply move it to another location, such as house parties.

“I think what it comes down to is people who want to drink are going to drink,” said Ali Mostrom, senior in chemistry. On Thursday night, Mostrom was drinking with friends at Welch Avenue Station, 207 Welch Ave., which does not feature an alcohol buffet special.

She said if students weren’t able to drink the amount they wanted at a bar, they would simply go to the residence halls, the greek houses or off-campus locations to drink.

“At least when it’s at a bar there is public awareness and bartenders can turn people away,” Mostrom said.

Local law officials disagreed. They said although the ordinance would not prevent all binge drinking, it would still help.

“An alcohol buffet may promote binge drinking,” Ames Police Cmdr. Jim Robinson said.

He said he thought if one bar offered an all-you-can-drink special, it may pressure other local bars to offer the same service.

Russ Cross, Ames City Council member since 1998, said the ordinance was proposed after several ISU officials and members of non-profit organizations spoke to council members about binge-drinking concerns in the Ames community.

The ordinance currently targets only all-you-can-drink specials, but Wirth said the council may consider revising the ordinance to include discounted specials, such as penny pitchers.

If the City Council votes to pass the ordinance a second time, it will still need to be passed a third time before it becomes a city law. The earliest it could be passed a third time is Feb. 11.