Student receives probation and fine for selling fake IDs

Jill Sederstrom

An Iowa State student was sentenced to three years probation and fined $5,000 Jan. 7 after manufacturing and selling fake identification cards.

Jonathan Ehmen, sophomore in liberal arts and sciences, was arrested and charged with forgery and tampering with records in April.

He received deferred judgment on the forgery charge and probation for the tampering with records charge, according to court documents.

Ehmen was reportedly selling fake identification cards out of his Wallace Hall residence hall room last year, according to Daily Staff reports.

ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger said Ehmen was arrested after police received a tip from a woman who overheard people discussing fake identification cards at a party.

“We had obtained assistance of several Iowa State students who were underage, working undercover,” Deisinger said.

Police had the students attempt to purchase fake identification cards from Ehmen. The students were successful and police issued a search warrant in January 2002.

According to Daily staff reports, police seized two computers, a laminator, a digital camera, and scanning equipment from Ehmen’s former residence. Police also discovered a .22-caliber handgun.

Deisinger said ISU Police cited and released approximately 25 to 30 individuals who owned a fake identification card as a result of the investigation.

Neither Ehmen nor his attorney Jeffrey Ireland could be reached for comment on the sentencing.

According to court documents, the defendant had no prior criminal record, the crime was not of a violent nature, and the defendant showed “sincere remorse,” which led to his probation sentence instead of jail time.

Prosecutor Tim Meals recommended probation, according to court records. He could not be reached for comment Monday.