Office parties bring the season’s spirit to campus through decorations, parties

Shandra Wendorff

As the end of the semester rolls around, offices on campus are preparing for the bustle of the season.

Though it’s a busy time for faculty and staff alike, many departments and offices around campus find time to celebrate the season in one way or another.

Secretary of the president’s office Jenyse Belden said the president’s office staff along with the Knoll staff celebrates with a simple potluck lunch in one of their conference rooms sometime during December.

“Oh boy, we have everything from bread to main courses to salad. It’s just nice to spend some time together sitting around, not working,” she said. “That’s fun for once.”

Jane Cox, director of the ISU theatre department, said that the theatre department doesn’t really do anything formally to celebrate the holidays.

“Actually, we’re working hard on putting on ‘A Christmas Carol’ since it opens the 6th,” she said. “That will be our biggest celebration.”

The staff at the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication has one of the more extravagant office parties.

This year, current and ex-faculty and staff, along with a guest, will be headed to Gateway Center for a catered buffet of including prime rib and salmon, a DJ and dancing.

“We’re trying something new,” said Kathy Box, administrative specialist.

“Usually we go to Reiman Gardens and have the residence halls cater. This year, we’ve already doubled the number of people that will attend.”

Heidi Eichorn, assistant to the dean in the Department of Education, said their department celebrates when Dean Walter Gmelch hosts a holiday party for all faculty, staff and graduate students in the dean’s suite. “It’s fairly casual — people come and go and chat and eat treats,” she said.

This year, Eichorn said there will be a contest, with a theme yet to be determined, which will most likely increase party attendance.

Another special tradition the Department of Education has is a holiday tea for all support staff hosted by Dean Gmelch and his wife, Paula, at the historical Farm House Museum.

Catered desserts, cocoa and carol singing are all incorporated into this special celebration. Eichon said that each attendee also gets a personalized ornament to take home with them.

“It’s just beautiful,” she stated. “Besides a wonderful celebration, it’s treat to get out of the office together.”