Festival will light up Central Campus

Stefanie Peterson

Hundreds of ISU students, faculty and staff will gather together Wednesday night to ring in the holiday season with Iowa State’s 57th annual Festival of Lights.

The music of ISU carillonneur Tin-shi Tam and candle luminaries will draw people to the steps of Beardshear Hall, where the lighting ceremony will take place, said John McCarroll, director of University Relations.

McCarroll said this year’s events will be similar to those in years past, with the lighting of Central Campus, horse-drawn carriage rides, reindeer, music by ISU choir members and refreshments.

Both President Gregory Geoffroy and Government of the Student Body President T.J. Schneider will deliver remarks at the ceremony, McCarroll said.

Horse-drawn carriages will take riders on a route through Central Campus after the lighting ceremony concludes. The University Bookstore, Campanile and Farm House Museum will have open houses throughout the evening as well.

Live reindeer on the south lawn of MacKay Hall have been a favorite with small children, he said.

“We’re keeping things we’ve added over the years,” McCarroll said.

Families from the community may also wish to participate in story reading in the Palmer Building, he said.

McCarroll said the Festival of Lights is a chance for the ISU and Ames communities to unite.

“This is largely an ISU event, but we certainly invite anyone, including families and area residents who want to come out,” he said.

Schneider said the Festival of Lights aims to unite ISU community members together.

“It really gives you a good feeling of that Iowa State community and realizing, ‘Wow, I’m an ISU student, this is what Iowa State is about,'” he said. “We’re here, we’re together and we’re celebrating not just one specific event but the sprit of giving.”

The festival will renew student determination, Schneider said.

“It’s a good chance for us to talk about the spirit of Iowa State and being a student during these times and all the things that affect us as students from the outside world, including how we deal with these things in our course work, extracurricular and social lives,” he said.

“The greatest thing is realizing that we’re the people that will be the next leaders and resources for the world,” Schneider added.