Panel discusses homophobia, vandalism

Natalie Spray

Students interested in the meaning of homophobia and its existence on campus gathered Wednesday evening for a panel discussion.

A group of about 25 gathered in 128 Carver Hall for a discussion that was organized by Women’s Studies 201 students Nichole Feuerstein, Amy Malfitano, Blair Polhamus and Laura Rusk.

Polhamus, freshman in women’s studies, said she has been shocked by the level of homophobia on campus, which spurred her to suggest it as the topic for the evening’s discussion.

“The main goal is to educate myself and others,” said Feuerstein, sophomore in women’s studies.

Thomas Hill, vice president for student affairs, said students should take advantage of educational opportunities available on campus.

“[Becoming educated about different views] doesn’t mean changing your beliefs — it means being open to others’ beliefs,” he said. “It’s okay to view the world differently.”

“Homophobia is a deadly business,” said Jerry Mayes, spokesman for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center in Des Moines. “Thirty to 40 percent of teenage suicides are the result of homophobia.”

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender activists shouldn’t have to pay a price for expressing their views, he said.

Jeff Sorensen, a university staff member at an office that was vandalized with hate speech in November, said he has experienced a supportive work environment despite hate crimes committed against him on campus.

“The response of the community has been wonderful,” he said. “I have received 150 [positive] e-mails from around the country.”

“I believe there is a lot of support for people to be free to be who they are,” Hill said.