Isolated study areas best for students preparing for tests

Natalie Spray

As finals week progresses, students continue to find and use effective study spaces to prepare for exams.

When studying, a student’s study space is just as important as the material being studied, officials say.

A good study space has several key components, said Susan Cross, associate professor of psychology.

A study space should be a comfortable location. The temperature should be a little on the cool side to prevent falling asleep. A space free from distractions is also very important. Three crucial things to avoid are telephones, friends and falling asleep, Cross said.

Students should also find a place that is safe, she said.

“I used to go to isolated places by myself,” Cross said. “[Which is] something I don’t recommend.”

Students know what works and doesn’t work for them when looking for a good study space.

Christopher Alley, sophomore in biology, said his dorm room isn’t a good place to study. He said he likes to go to the library, where there are no distractions such as a television or people stopping by to visit.

Others enjoy staying in a familiar setting.

Michelle Karhoff, junior in marketing, said she enjoys studying in her apartment and coffee shops.

The difference lies in what students view as distractions, she said.

“The TV and computer aren’t bad,” said Karhoff. “I can turn them off and walk away.”

The Academic Success Center, on the first floor of the Student Services Building, has many study tips available for students preparing for finals.

Studying in the same area each time will make studying feel like the appropriate behavior for that specific space, according to information obtained from the center.

The center also suggests selecting one item to mentally relate to studying. Placing items, like pictures or figurines, in the workspace will trigger a positive attitude about studying. It will also tell others not to disturb a student’s study time.

One tip from the center is keeping a “reminder pad” nearby to jot down notes. Instead of focusing on a mental to-do list, students can write down anything that comes to mind which might potentially prevent students from studying effectively.