IRHA approves bill for tailgate

Jyni Ekins

The Inter-Residence Hall Association passed a bill to give $200 to the Freshman Council for an alcohol-free tailgate party to be held Nov. 23.

The event is open to everyone, although it is targeted to freshmen, said Jenny Erwin, Union Drive Association president and co-author of the bill.

“Freshman Council is primarily greek,” Erwin said. “We struggle to get residence hall students [involved]. I think it’s great they’re coming to us for funding.”

In other business, Cyclone Leadership Organization representatives Michelle Kennedy and Leia Guccione came to speak to IRHA about how to get more residence hall students involved in leadership positions, as well as how to bridge the gap between greeks and IRHA.

“We do a lot,” Guccione said. “We organized the first-ever campus leadership summit. [We want to know] how to build this organization so it can function and serve the students.”

A proposal to give $900 to Madrigal Dinners, a medieval event involving costumes, food and dancing, was also presented.

Dave Breutzmann, Towers Residence Association president and co-author of the bill, said the money would provide discounted tickets for residence hall students who wished to attend.

“I think tickets are regularly $27, but would be about $10 for [residence hall] students,” Breutzmann said. “They will also hold 25 seats a show.”