Honors building dedicated

Stefanie Peterson

A crisp, sunny Saturday morning set the mood for the Jischke Honors Building dedication. ISU students, faculty, staff and alumni gathered at 9 a.m. for a reception and facility tour.

Former ISU President Martin Jischke traveled with his wife Patty, from Purdue University, where he is currently president, to attend the event.

Jischke said he was pleased with how the building that bears his name turned out.

“It’s absolutely gorgeous,” he said. “The view, setting and art is quite remarkable.”

Jischke said location makes the Honors Building different from other buildings on campus.

“[The location] places the honors program in a prominent place to call attention to, but it’s tucked away in the trees. It has a nice view of Central Campus, yet it’s not overwhelming.”

Jischke said the new building will serve several purposes.

“I hope the gorgeous building will encourage top students to come to Iowa State. [This building] shows the importance the university attaches to academics,” he said.

Jischke said the open lounge will serve as a “congregating place where students, faculty and others come together for interaction.”

President Gregory Geoffroy said the building is designed for informal use by student groups.

The open layout facilitates interaction with faculty, he said.

“There is a relaxed student atmosphere here,” Geoffroy said. “[Students] can be a bit more noisy in discussions.”

John Schmitz, undergraduate honors assistant, said he frequently uses the building for meetings, studying and classes.

“The best part is the open lounge,” he said.

“It is a nice, open environment but still stays quiet enough for studying.”

Schmitz, senior in chemical engineering, said conference rooms host honors seminars throughout the week.

Honors students are invited to use the building 24 hours a day, he said.

“Students definitely feel welcome to use the building,” he said.