Students’ step show celebrates unity

Jessica Anderson

More than 500 people packed into the Sun Room of the Memorial Union Saturday night to watch the GreekFest Step Show.

GreekFest is a celebration of historically black fraternities and sororities, said Jeff Tarver, member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.

“It’s about unity and friendly competition,” he said. “We don’t have large numbers of African-American students on campus; we would like to see more support and more performers.”

Tarver, senior in sociology, said the routine put on by his fraternity is a tradition.

Groups were judged on appearance, voice, complexity of the routine and crowd reaction. Each organization was given 12 minutes to perform.

Tarver said as long as each group is respectful, anything goes.

There is no limit on the number of members who can perform, he said.

This year, three non-greek organizations, including the ISU Cyclone Marching Band and Drill Team, took part in the celebration.

Terrell Robbins, drum captain and sophomore in architecture, said the group formed last spring to dance, march and bring students another extracurricular activity.

“The Mod Squad,” a non-greek organization, incorporated a variety of clothing changes and Omega Psi Phi wore purple jumpsuits.

Each group came up with their routine in a different way.

DeAndre Stallworth, president of Phi Beta Sigma and junior in industrial technology, said the fraternity got their idea from The Unknowns, an inter-house group.

“They gave us a chance and we took it from there,” she said.

Toshiba Traynham, member of Delta Sigma Theta and graduate in food science and human nutrition, said their performance was a collection of steps from different chapters. Traynham said her sorority had more than 50 supporters in the crowd.

The Step Show attracted a large crowd, “probably because of the black college reunion,” said La’Tifini McClinton, president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and senior in community health education.

One-third of the money raised from the Step Show went to the Black Student Alliance and the winning fraternity and sorority each won $750. The non-greek participants were not eligible to win prize money.

Beta Phi Sigma Fraternity and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority won the Step Show.