Replacements sought for Quirmbach posts

Vicky Lio

ISU associate professor Herman Quirmbach’s victory in the race for Iowa Senate will create an opening in Iowa State’s Department of Economics and the Ames City Council.

Quirmbach, associate professor of economics, will no longer teach spring semester courses in order to serve in the Senate.

“In the spring, [Quirmbach] usually teaches one section of Econ 101 and one senior or graduate-level course,” said Arne Hallam, chairman for the economics department and professor.

Hallam said the department is looking for someone to help cover the classes Quirmbach taught in the spring.

“This becomes difficult because you have to take into consideration re-election. This job would be sort of permanent, but not absolutely permanent,” Hallam said. “Most people aren’t looking for part-time or temporary jobs to teach economics.”

The department will search for faculty on campus with a strong background in economics to fill Quirmbach’s spot, Hallam said.

The replacement will teach introduction-level courses, but graduate and upper-level courses will be canceled for now, he said.

In January, Quirmbach will also step down from his position on the Ames City Council. He serves as a representative for the 4th Ward, which includes all of Iowa State.

After seven years in city government, Quirmbach said he has mixed feelings about leaving for the Senate.

“The city government is an outstanding organization. We’re not perfect, but we have a lot of things going for us,” he said. “However, the state government has an incredible effect on this community — the university, environment, transportation and human services.”

Quirmbach said he feels qualified to represent Ames and Iowa State in the state Senate.

“Being elected to office is a bit of a surprise, because I always expected my role would be contributing expertise,” he said.

Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said Quirmbach’s interest in city politics will be missed.

“It is difficult to say what kind of void will be left, but Herman was always very well-read about the topics before each meeting,” he said.

The city government will give notice to the public about the vacancy in the City Council position. Ames residents can then decide to hold a special election or fill the position by appointment.

“Since the position will be up for election in about a year, an appointment would be the most economical choice,” Tedesco said. Two citizens have expressed interest in the position, but no official statements have been made, he said.