Norris’ challenge to Latham falls short

Natalie Spray

Democrat Rep. John Norris supporters said they were surprised while watching election results unfold Tuesday night. Tom Latham, Republican candidate for U.S. House, defeated Norris by a vote of 54 to 44 percent.

“This is a tremendous victory,” Latham said. “I’m very excited about this new district. I think it fits me very well.”

He said he saw his win as a decisive victory, pointing out that it appears he won all 28 counties of the 4th District.

The four-term incumbent attributed the win to his experience.

“I think people realize it’s an advantage to have someone with seniority, someone who understands how to represent the state and work very hard for the state and the districts,” Latham said.

Shortly after the polls closed Tuesday evening, Norris’ friends, family and supporters gathered at the Best Western Starlight Village, 2601 E 13th St., to show their support.

James Norris, brother of John Norris, said he remained optimistic and concerned for his brother throughout the evening, despite the neck-and-neck race.

“He’s passionate, committed and he doesn’t do anything halfway,” he said.

Bob Norris, John Norris’ father, said his son is a real person who would have fought for Iowans.

“[John] doesn’t represent the powerful and the rich,” he said.

“He represents the farmers and the workers.”

James Norris said his brother is definitely pro-education and wanted to help college students with financial need.

“[Norris supports] a hand up, not a handout.” he said.

According to Norris’ Web site, www.norrisforcongress.com, Norris hoped to increase financial aid for college students. He also felt competition among student-loan lenders will benefit students.

Jeani Murray, Norris’ campaign manager, said she thought voters wanted to hear a positive message through the campaigns.

“Unfortunately, when there are misleading attacks [in the campaigns], the real disservice is to the voters,” she said.

Kathryn Tiensvold, Ames Department of Transportation employee, was a first-time participant in the evening’s events.

She handed out pamphlets earlier in the afternoon and said she was “getting her feet wet a little bit at a time.”

Tiensvold said the best part of the evening was the anticipation for the results and the unknown.

— The Associated Press and CNN contributed to this article