Student remembered with online auction

Beth Loberg

An online auction is helping to commemorate the contributions of a student killed last winter and raise awareness about the dangers of drinking and driving.

The ISU Dairy Science club’s auction was created in memory of Alison Ciancio, sophomore in animal science, who was killed on Jan. 6 while on vacation in her hometown of Havertown, Penn.

The Dairy Science Club said their purpose for creating the auction was twofold.

“We were looking for a way to raise money and also a way to commemorate Alison,” said Jeremiah Sperfslage, president of the ISU Dairy Science Club and senior in dairy science. “Alison was just beginning to become very involved with the club. She had just become an officer and was very active with the club activities.”

Ciancio will be remembered as an energetic person who used that energy for good.

“Alison was the type of person who captivated the room. She was a spark; someone who took the initiative and wasn’t afraid to stand up and take responsibility,” said Howard Tyler, faculty adviser to the club. “Her death was a tragic loss to our department and the club.” The auction has already raised more than $1,000.

Items being auctioned were donated by the 74 members of the Dairy Science Club and their families. Items in the auction include art, antiques, dogs, rabbits and sports items autographed by Cyclone celebrities.

The money raised by the auction will be put into a scholarship for a dairy science student.

“The scholarship is very unique. There are no financial or GPA requirements; it is strictly based on character. Applications are due March 2, and the award recipient will be chosen by a scholarship committee,” said Tyler, associate professor of animal science and biomedical engineering.

In addition to raising money, the auction is also helping students understand the dangers of drunk driving at Iowa State.

“According to a 30-day study of students here at Iowa State, 34 percent of the students admitted to driving after they had been drinking. Another 13.1 percent admitted to driving after having five or more drinks,” said Brian Dunn, adviser of the Student Health Advisory Committee.

After 2,500 surveys had been handed out, 812 were returned for the study. The numbers at Iowa State seem to follow the Iowa trend in college drinking and driving. Several organizations on campus help educate students about the dangers of irresponsible alcohol use. Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) and the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) both give students opportunities to look at an consider all sides of potentially destructive choices and conflicts.

The goal of SADD is to encourage responsible, healthy decisions. SADD also encourages students to maintain respect for the law and for themselves when confronted with drugs, alcohol and other risky behaviors.

The auction will continue to run on-line until the 24th of November and can be viewed at www.ag.iastate.edu/departments/ ansci/alisonciancio.