Clubs congregate to entertain, recruit

Kari Medsker

It only took one loud, jolting bang for SCUM to get the crowd’s attention.

The Society of Chemistry Undergraduate Majors was one of four clubs that presented to students Tuesday night in the Durham Center. The Crazy Clubs Forum was hosted by Freshman Council.

SCUM members kept the crowd’s attention as they lit fires inside empty water cooler bottles, causing materials inside to glow and change color.

Nate Hertel, Freshman Council member and sophomore in chemical engineering, said the forum also gave the clubs a chance to recruit.

The Railroad, Unicycling and Juggling, Canoe and Kayak clubs and SCUM showed their talents.

David Aeschliman, SCUM member and graduate assistant in chemistry, said the club has about 40 active members, but would like to have more people so the “danger is maximized.”

Piper Wall, a Canoe and Kayak Club member affiliated with Iowa State through research, demonstrated some tricks inside a small kayak on a table.

Clayton Johanson, president of the ISU Railroad Club, said if you ever see a group of people standing around the railroad tracks watching for trains, they are probably railroad club members.

“We go out and watch trains,” Johanson said. “The technical term is railfanning.”

The club is also in the process of building a model railroad.

As the juggling club took the stage, the first row in the audience was asked to move back.

Jesse Shumaker, president of the Unicycling and Juggling club, said some members learned how to juggle just this semester.

Juggling began to interest Shumaker because he was in the ISU drumline.

“I wanted to learn how to juggle drumsticks,” he said.