IRHA to discuss funding bills for Varieties group, Madrigal dinner

Emily Sickelka

“Various sorts of diverse assortments” will be discussed at this weeks Inter-Residence Hall Association’s Thursday meeting.

It’s a bill, requesting $600 for the Barker House Varieties Group, a residence hall group which has the only non-greek entry in the annual Varieties show, said Todd Voss, Larch Hall representative and co-author of the bill.

Voss said Varieties provides students the chance to display their talent through the production of a short musical. Performances will occur throughout the month of January.

“I think it’s a great way to spread some culture around the ISU community,” Voss said. “It’s entirely put up by students — music, lyrics, choreography, props and stage settings.”

Voss said the majority of residence hall students involved in Varieties are from Barker House but participants hope to open up the event to other residence hall students.

“It might not be fully supported [by IRHA] just because most of the people involved are from a certain house,” Voss said. “But I think since it’s open to everyone it shouldn’t have any problems passing.”

Another bill, entitled “Madrigal Dinners are Magical”, requests $900 for a Madrigal Dinner, a medieval themed dinner involving costumes and music, said Eric Peters, Willow Hall representative and bill co-author.

“It’s a different kind of event than usually goes on,” Peters said. “It’s the medieval theme so it’s not something that happens every day, and it’s been going on for a couple years now.”

He said many resident hall students are involved in the production as singers, musicians, or dancers.

Tickets are regularly priced at $27, but Peters said funding from IRHA would allow residence hall students to pay $10. Tickets for the event, which will be held in the Great Hall Jan. 17 and 18, can be purchased at Music Hall office or the Memorial Union, Peters said.