Spanish honor society, community among professor’s contributions

Natalie Spray

Editor’s note: These two stories are the third part of a series. Two weeks ago was an explanation of the Master Teacher program and the story of Warren Dolphin, university professor of zoology and genetics. Last week featured William Simpkins, associate professor of geological and atmospheric sciences, and Margaret Mook, associate professor of foreign languages and literatures.

The Master Teacher program recognizes innovative professors who have unique methods of enhancing student learning experiences.

This is the fourth year for the program, which carries a different theme each year. This year’s theme is for unique methods in off-campus learning and teaching.

Kathy Leonard lives for making students’ dreams of studying abroad a reality.

This year, Leonard, professor of foreign languages and literatures, was named a master teacher along with four other innovative professors in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Dawn Bratsch-Prince, head of the Foreign Languages and Literatures Department, has worked with Leonard for 11 years. Bratsch-Prince said Leonard received the master teacher award for three major contributions to learning experiences outside the classroom.

One is the establishment of the ISU chapter of Sigma Delta Pi, an honor society for Spanish students. Bratsch-Prince said the group has created goodwill and better relations among students.

Another is the formation of Casa Hispanica. Leonard described Casa Hispanica as a living community where students can speak Spanish frequently and participate in many cultural events. The community is modeled after the Casa Hispanica where Leonard lived as an undergraduate student.

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean Peter Rabideau said Casa Hispanica is one of Leonard’s most outstanding contributions to Iowa State.

Bratsch-Prince said the Casa Hispanica was a labor-intensive undertaking. Due to the amount of faculty time required to run the program, Casa Hispanica is on hold for the current academic year.

“[Casa Hispanica] was appreciated by students and they learned a lot,” she said.

Another of Leonard’s many contributions is the development of a travel abroad program that incorporates service and learning, Bratsch-Prince said.

“In foreign languages, professors try to send their students abroad because it’s a great way [for them] to learn,” Leonard said.

Last summer, Leonard and co-director Nancy Guthrie took a group of eight female students to Chile.

While stationed there, the students learned not only by immersing themselves in the culture, but also through community service projects.

“[Students] learn things you can’t learn in class,” Bratsch-Prince said. “They come back learning much more than Spanish conversation.”

Jennifer Oftedal, junior in elementary education, traveled to Chile with Leonard.

While in South America, Oftedal said she spent half of her time studying Spanish at a local university and the other half working at a service site.

“It was a neat way to learn the language and how the schools function,” Oftedal said. “It was [also] good to learn from others who have different life experiences.”

Leonard is ready to share her experiences with other faculty as part of her position as a master teacher. She said she and her master teacher colleagues are considering holding seminars in the spring about service learning, planning a study abroad program and their experiences.

“[There are] a lot of nuts and bolts to forming a program you don’t know about until you experience them,” she said.