IRHA to determine conference funding

Emily Sickelka

The Inter-Residence Hall Association will vote on a bill to fund the National Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls 2004 bid team at Thursday’s meeting.

Eric Peters, Willow Hall representative, said all ISU students, even those not living in the residence halls, are encouraged to become part of the bid team.

“It’s a great way to get involved,” Peters said. “It’s worthwhile because anybody that’s gone to a conference like this would know that all of the people involved get so much out of it.”

He said helping would be a good way for students to make connections with administrators on campus and would be a good r‚sum‚-builder.

Peters said the bid team is looking for people to help with planning things such as housing, entertainment, and transportation during NACURH 2004. Those on the bid team would hopefully be able to go along when the bid presentation is made in May at NACURH 2003 at North Carolina State, he said.

Also, a bill giving funding to the Fall Blood Drive will be introduced.

Tyson Stichka, senior in electrical engineering, and Peter Thompson, junior in production and operations management, will speak to IRHA on behalf of the blood drive committee.

“We pride ourselves on being the largest blood drive in the country,” Stichka said. “Our goal is to have 2002 donors in 2002.”

Stichka said the Spring Blood Drive is run by the greeks, but the Fall Blood Drive is staffed by all students. He said the committee hopes to involve the residence halls in the drive.

A bill that would restrict the type of questions parliament members would be able to ask during the initial presentation of a bill will also be introduced.

Nick Leitheiser, Richardson Court Association at-large representative and author of the bill, said a change to the bylaws would save time.

He said in the past, “people were abusing the first read and making some debate points, which is not the right place to do that.”

The new bill, he said, is more precise regarding what kinds of questions can be asked the first time a bill is introduced. Parliament members will only be able to ask questions in order to clarify points and must save debate for the second read of the bill.

The meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the Wallace-Wilson Conference Room.