Grassley speaks at town meeting

Jessica Anderson

Students present at an Ames town meeting featuring Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said the senator tiptoed around issues such as war and the Middle East.

“[Grassley] didn’t really answer the questions we wanted him to answer,” said Michael Faris, senior in English.

Faris said he wanted more answers about situations in the Middle East.

“I think [Grassley] gave decent answers on Medicaid,” he said. “However, on foreign policy, he skirted the issue.”

Jon Meier, senior in religious studies, agreed.

“He either didn’t answer the questions or went back to Medicaid,” he said.

Grassley said a win in the war on terrorism does not mean killing every terrorist. He also said the amount of money being spent on homeland security and the military has caused a federal deficit.

Grassley said he attempts to respond to correspondence from his constituents.

“We spend an hour and a half together here, but it doesn’t do much good if you can’t get in touch with me,” he said.

John Donaghy, lecturer in philosophy and religious studies, said he came to the meeting to hear about foreign relations.

“One of my concerns is what is happening in our country with an impending war on Iraq,” he said. “There are serious moral issues in undermining international institutions.”

Meier said many people raised concerns about supporting unethical situations abroad.

Educational funding was an issue both students and the community wanted addressed.

“I ask my students to tell me what the federal government can do to make their lives easier,” said Nancy Peterson, teacher at Gilbert High School. “They answer: money for college.”

Tom Bander, senior in industrial engineering, asked about the School of the Americas.

“The U.S. still sponsors a terrorist training camp. I’m more disturbed now … a year after Sept. 11,” Bander said. “It seems contradictory — aren’t we guilty of the very thing we’re trying to eliminate in the world?”

Though Bander expressed frustrations about the way Grassley answered questions, he said he was pleased overall.

“I appreciate [Grassley] giving us the opportunity to voice our concerns,” he said. “I feel he was honest. At least he made an attempt to explain the situations.”