Hands-on field experiences distinguish Simpkins’ classes

Stefanie Peterson

Editor’s note: These two stories are the second part of a series. Last week was an explanation of the Master Teacher program and the story of Warren Dolphin, university professor of zoology and genetics.

The Master Teacher program recognizes innovative professors who have unique methods of enhancing student learning experiences.

This is the fourth year for the program, which carries a different theme each year. This year’s theme is for unique methods in off-campus learning and teaching.

Providing practical experience and “getting students employed” are William Simpkins’ top priorities as associate professor of geological and atmospheric sciences.

Simpkins, who was named one of five “Master Teachers” in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences for the academic year, was nominated for his instruction in “Field Methods in Hydrogeology” and his methods for incorporating hands-on field experiences during lab periods in other courses.

Simpkins’ course, “Watershed Hydrology and Surficial Processes,” examines water quality issues by touring hog confinement facilities and tours the National Weather Service offices in Johnston to see how radar is used for flood forecasting. They travel to rivers and measure stream flow, he said.

In Hydrogeology 411/511, students measure water levels in area wells then analyze and construct diagrams from the data they gather. A tour of the Ames city well fields provides an underground glimpse into past methods of water storage, Simpkins said.

Many classes conduct hands-on learning activities, but Simpkins said in his professional field those experiences are “pretty rare.”

Students learn a lot in a short amount of time, have fun and retain the information better through interactive experience, he said.

“I feel it’s the best way for students to learn when they can actually see how these things are used in the real world,” he said.

“In fact, most of my graduate students comment that because of these experiences, when they get out in the working world they know more than the people they’re working for, which is pretty scary if you really think about it.”

While thrilled about the award, Simpkins said the recognition comes with added responsibility.

“It’s not a free lunch,” he said. “We’re in a conversation with the Center for Teaching Excellence about having us put on seminars to teach other instructors including open forums and workshops.”

Lee Burras, associate professor of agronomy, has co-taught a class with Simpkins five times.

“Bill has a wonderful impact on students,” Burras said. “He’s very knowledgeable and his coverage of topics is thorough. He does a wonderful job of including real world examples.”

Burras said students benefit from Simpkins’ dedication to education.

“Students learn a tremendous amount in the class,” he said. “Bill is concerned about making sure what he teaches is understandable and beneficial.

“I’m proud of him for winning this award,” Burras said. “I think it’s well-deserved.”