Professor accused of academic dishonesty

Natalie Spray

An ISU professor is under investigation for charges of academic dishonesty by her former husband, who is serving time for an attempted murder sentence.

Li Cao, associate professor of mechanical engineering, is being investigated by the Immigration and Naturalization Service and the National Science Foundation. Her former husband, Ziyi Dai, alleges she falsified her educational background.

Dai attacked Cao, then his wife, in January of 2002, according to Daily staff reports. Cao was treated for knife wounds to her fingers, hands and arms. Dai was charged in February 2002 with attempted murder and solicitation to commit murder. He is now in the Story County Jail.

A letter Dai wrote to the two agencies triggered the investigation.

“We need to remember that [the claims] originate from someone who … is engaged in an attempt to destroy [Cao’s] career,” said Jon Van Gerpen, interim chairman of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and professor.

Van Gerpen said Cao has made important contributions to the university.

“Professor Cao is a respected member of our department and is making excellent contributions in teaching and research,” he said.

James Melsa, dean of the College of Engineering, said the university will take any case of falsified credentials seriously and then act upon the charges.

Susan Carlson, associate provost, said when falsification has a connection to funding or research, the disciplinary action might be different than if the falsification were along the lines of plagiarism.

The claims of Cao’s academic dishonesty are unlikely to be proven true, she said.

R‚sum‚s and transcripts are not the only factor reviewed when a professor is hired, Carlson said. Many other forms of verification are submitted and are carefully reviewed.

If Cao is proven to have falsified her credentials, her behavior would be classified as academic misconduct.

According to the 2002 faculty handbook, the case could be investigated by the Officer for Research Integrity.

After several steps, a committee would then choose one of three possible recommendations.

The committee might recommend the case be dismissed due to lack of support, recommend President Gregory Geoffroy impose a minor sanction that “nondisciplinary corrective action be taken” or recommend Geoffroy impose a major sanction, according to the handbook.

After considering all information, the final decision is then at the president’s discretion. The final decision may then be appealed.

Paul Tanaka, director of the Office of University Counsel, said nondisciplinary corrective action would be used if a faculty member had technically violated the conduct policy, but the violation doesn’t require an intensive form of punishment.

“[Non-disciplinary corrective action] could be a letter of instruction to the employee,” Tanaka said.

The employee could also be required to attend some form of training or instruction, he said.

The president could impose a long-term suspension, termination or a significant reassignment of duties if the committee recommends a major sanction be imposed, Tanaka said.