Police identify student discovered dead in Friley

Jill Sederstrom

Police positively identified Michael Victor Babicz as the student found dead in his Friley Hall dormitory room Thursday.

Babicz, senior in management information systems, was found in 5542 Friley Hall after police responded to a call from residence hall staff.

An autopsy has been performed, but the cause of death may not be known for several weeks, said Deputy State Medical Examiner Dennis Klein.

“The cause and matter of death are pending medical tests,” he said.

ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger said police did take several items from Babicz’s room. At this time, however, police have no reason to believe the items were related to the cause of death, Deisinger said.

Deisinger said the family has been notified of the death.

Babicz was from Palatine, Illinois, located approximately 30 miles northwest of Chicago.

Mattie Hawley, Upper Friley hall director, said residence hall staff has already started working with the floor to help students grieve.

The staff called a mandatory floor meeting Thursday night. Hawley said staff from the Student Counseling Service would speak at the meeting.

She also said both the Upper Friley and Lower Friley hall directors and counselors will continue to be available for students who want to talk.

Terry Mason, director of student counseling, said each student will react to the death in his or her own way. He said it is important for all students to talk about the death.

“People should talk, share thoughts, share feelings with friends,” Mason said.

An after-hours phone line is also available for students who are having a crisis and need to speak to a counselor. The number is (515) 233-5811.