IRHA will weigh two door-locking orders

Emily Sickelka

The Inter-Residence Hall Association will vote Thursday on two different recommendations to the Department of Residence on a 24-hour door locking policy.

Colleen Prosser, Towers Residence Association treasurer, is co-author of an order calling for doors to remain unlocked during the day.

“There’s no telling what will go on [at the meeting],” she said. “We will pass some sort of bill, What the bill will say, I don’t know.”

Richardson Court Association At-Large Nick Leitheiser will introduce a version of the order that calls for student government to hold meetings with members of the residence department and other involved groups to discuss concerns about individual buildings.

“We really don’t have any problems with the policy as a whole,” Leitheiser said. “We have a problem with the implementation of the policy.”

He said the first bill does not go far enough in outlining the next step IRHA will take.

“The first bill voices our concerns about the issue,” he said. “However, it fails to really act on the issue.”

Also during the meeting, Government of the Student Body President T.J. Schneider will discuss residence hall events and projects, including the Memorial Union agreements and tuition and room increases.

Schneider will also discuss the current plan to merge the Memorial Union and residence dining hall food service.

Schneider said a single provider would “create some portability for students on campus as far as meal plans.”

A bill will also be introduced that would place more stipulations on requests for money from the special projects account.

Prosser, co-author of the bill, said the current requirements to get funds from the account include requesting at least $1,000 and meeting the basic funding guidelines.

Morgan Rippke, Union Drive Association treasurer and co-author of the bill, said a new stipulation would require the funding to benefit all IRHA constituents.

Prosser said all projects that have been funded by the account up to this point would have met the new requirement. “It’s more of a preventive measure than anything,” she said.

IRHA will meet at 7 p.m. in the Memorial Union Oak Room.