ISU community comes together for a lakeside vigil pays tribute to Sept. 11

Natalie Spray

More than 1,000 students gathered together at Lake LaVerne on Wednesday night to remember the events of Sept. 11, 2001.

Candles were distributed to those gathered to pay reverence to those who died. Eventually, those candles ran out due to an large student turnout.

“I felt as if all of us were connected,” said Amber Herman, freshman in dairy science. “All of our lights joined together, and it seemed like hope was shining.”

Amanda Noller, freshman in genetics, came to the vigil for that specific feeling.

“I came because I wanted to feel a connection to the people who lost their lives,” she said. “Since I live in Colorado, it’s easy to distance yourself from [the events].”

People crying, hugging and swaying to the music encircled the lake.

“I stood next to a young lady weeping,” said Thomas Hill, vice president for Student Affairs. “I eventually asked her if she knew anyone [who died]. She said `no, I just had a tough day.’ “

Like others, Lindsay Banks, freshman in pre-business, knew people who were in the New York, Washington and rural Pennsylvania. Her sister lived in Washington at the time, and their friend who was working as an intern in the Pentagon lost his life.

While gathered at the lake on Wednesday, people gathered together and shared their personal stories and remembrances of the terrorist attacks last year.

“My roommate is from New York,” Noller said. “When she tells a story it is shocking because you realize these events really did happen.”

Sometimes what was not said also made an impact at the vigil.

“Volumes were said tonight without words,” Hill said.

“[The vigil] is a good way to remember because it brought everyone together and allowed everyone to reflect on their own,” Banks said.

Jeremy Siepker, volunteer firefighter for Carroll County, said the events of Sept. 11, 2001, have changed his life. “I feel like there is more purpose to my work [as a firefighter],” said Siepker, freshman in psychology.

The candlelight ceremony should continue to be held every Sept. 11, Hill said.

“[The vigil] is an opportunity to really remember those who lost their lives,” he said. “Not only that but to reflect on what’s important to us and what we can do to make this world better.”

As people left the ceremony, they left feeling touched by not only people’s stories, but also the ceremony’s atmosphere.

“Everything was so moving,” Noller said. “It’s hard to describe.”