IRHA to ask for dorm doors to remain open

Emily Sickelka

The Inter-Residence Hall Association will introduce an order at ThursdayOs meeting asking the Department of Residence to keep residence hall doors unlocked during the day.

Most students do not see the need for the change, said Dave Breutzmann, Towers Residence Association President and author of the bill.

Breutzmann said the reasons given for locking doors include keeping out solicitors and homeless people.

OThe general feeling IOve gotten from constituents is the hassles of having doors locked 24/7 are worse than the hassles resulting from solicitors,O he said.

Also during the meeting, Cathy Brown, program coordinator for Facilities Planning and Management, and Doug Houghton, program manager from the Department of Public Safety, will speak about changes on Wallace Road and gather input from the organization.

OWhen the change was instituted, there was always a plan to come out and get peopleOs responses,O Houghton said.

He said the information gathered at the meeting would be coupled with information gathered from other related groups and used Oto re-evaluate decisions, see how itOs working, where we should go, and what changes, if any, should be made.O

Andrew Walling, director of campus awareness for the Government of the Student Body, will speak about the fall gala, recycling in Ames and the crow problem on campus. OIOll be speaking about where people think the biggest [crow] problems are,O Walling said. OIOve done some research as to what we can really do about the crow population.O

The meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Other business:

A seating bill for the positions of secretary and director of finance.

A funding bill to pay for campus speaker Bill Halamandaris to appear at Dance Marathon.

A bill to transfer academic programming to special events.

A funding bill for the voter initiative on campus.