Vindicated, overjoyed fans spill out onto field, storm goalposts

Stefanie Peterson

While the Husker fans packed up and headed home after Saturday’s game, Cyclone fans celebrated a victory 10 years in the making.

Whether students rushed the field, resumed pre-game tailgating or sneaked out early to avoid traffic, ISU fans took advantage of the long-awaited triumph over the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Though the Cyclones were only favored to win by one point, many students were confident of a victory well before the game began. Some said Saturday’s game was a chance for the Cyclones to prove themselves worthy of Husker respect.

Andy Riesselman, freshman in pre-business, sported a cardinal-painted face and chest. He climbed and then fell off the goal post after the game, he said.

“There was no personal space, no comfort zone,” he said of the post-game celebrations at Jack Trice Stadium.

“Everyone was up against each other.”

Holly Warnke, freshman in pre-business, said she experienced the need for crowd control firsthand.

“I thought I was going to get trampled on and die,” she said. “I got scared because I saw a little boy underneath me. Someone else helped me pull him up.”

Kristen Banas, senior in mechanical engineering and business management, watched the crowd rush the field from the safety of the student section balcony.

She was able to leave the stadium without a long wait because people were still on the field, she said.

Stephen Troskey, freshman in political science, said he joined a crowd gathering on the sidelines at the end of the fourth quarter to rush the field.

“It was a giant party,” he said. “I loved it.”

After congratulating the players, Troskey said he and his friends resumed tailgating for another hour before heading back to the residence halls.

“The real fans are the ones who stayed after the game and just celebrated,” he said.