U of I’s Arnold serves as student regent

Jessica Anderson

The student regent is not so new any more and she’s still figuring out what her job is all about.

“Everyone keeps talking about the learning curve and how much there is to learn,” said Neala Arnold, student regent from the University of Iowa. “Right now, I’m trying to get to the point where I’m comfortable.”

Arnold said learning about the five different Regent schools will help teach her the kinds of questions to ask at meetings.

Regent David Neil of Waterloo said the student regent’s responsibilities are the same as any of the other eight members.

“The position is available because the students demanded one some years ago and [it] was brought into law,” Neil said.

He said with the amount of information a regent needs to know, any regent would have problems getting up to speed immediately.

“She seems to be a fine addition to the Board,” said Regent Sue Erickson Nieland of Sioux City. “We’re delighted to have her representing the students.”

Arnold is a senior in elementary education at the U of I. She has experience with the “America Reads” program and has been helping tutor college students.

When former student Regent Lisa Ahrens graduated in May from Iowa State, someone contacted Arnold and asked if she was interested in filling the vacancy.

“I was contacted by a program that I tutored for,” Arnold said. “They explained what [the student regent] is and wanted to know if I’d be interested.”

She was nominated to apply by Phillip Jones, U of I vice president for Student Services and Dean of Students.

Arnold interviewed with the Lt. Gov. Sally Pederson and received an appointment to the board from Gov. Tom Vilsack last spring.

Arnold said one major issue she will face with the Board will be the tuition increase due to state budget cuts.

“I really think it’s unfortunate that the universities have lost so much support from the state,” she said.

“I would like to see some kind of compromise between the reductions and how much the students are going to have to kick in.”

In the next couple of months, before a vote is taken, Arnold said she would like to talk to as many people as possible.

“The student regent is not necessarily the student’s regent,” she said. “I bring a student perspective to the Board.”

Arnold said because she is a student and her friends are students, she has a different take on issues than other board members.

“I’m learning a lot about the schools,” she said. “I honestly didn’t know anything about the special schools and it was really neat to get to go see them.”

Arnold said she would like to go back when school is in session.

“I’m starting to realize how broad the responsibilities of the board are,” she said.