5 LAS professors put unique spin on day-to-day teaching

Natalie Spray

Innovative off-campus methods of teaching might become familiar to ISU students thanks to five faculty members of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

These professors have been named master teachers for the 2002-2003 academic year and will be sharing their techniques with other professors throughout the year.

Peter Rabideau, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said the college selects master teachers each year for their methods of enhancing student learning experiences.

This is the fourth year for the program, which carries a different theme each year. This year’s theme is for unique methods in off-campus learning and teaching. Past themes include undergraduate research, technology in the classroom and teaching in large classrooms.

Master teachers for this academic year are: Warren Dolphin, university professor of zoology and genetics; Kathy Leonard, professor of foreign languages and literatures; Margaret Mook, associate professor of foreign languages and literatures; Stephen Pett, associate professor of English; and William Simpkins, associate professor of geological and atmospheric sciences.

Michael Whiteford, associate dean for the College of LAS, said many faculty meet the qualifications of the chosen theme.

The departments, who nominate faculty for the award, choose the best candidates and send them forward for the consideration of the dean and associate deans. Rabideau and the associate deans then select the master teachers.

Corly Brooke, associate vice provost for the Center for Teaching Excellence, said once selected as a master teacher, professors work with the Center for Teaching Excellence to organize opportunities to share their expertise. In the past, master teachers have led faculty forums, individual workshops and written newsletter articles.

Rabideau said the program is also about “introducing the campus to different styles of teaching and learning.”

Brooke said this year’s master teachers are looking forward to the opportunity to share their experiences.

“[The master teachers] are an enthusiastic group.” she said.