Grant lures players from his alma mater

Nate Frandsen

Saturday’s game against Nebraska is a very important game for the race in the Big 12 North, and it may mean even more when it comes to future recruiting battles.

Enter Iowa State coach Mike Grant.

Grant, who coaches the receivers in-season, is also in charge of luring high school talent away from Lincoln, Neb. and here to Ames in his spare time.

An interesting factor is that Grant played quarterback for the Huskers from 1988 to 1992, earning three letters.

He also coached on the Nebraska staff from 1993 to 1996.

“The bowl games as a player and coach and the national titles in ’94 and ’95 were some of the things that I recall,” said Grant, who saw three Orange Bowls, a Fiesta Bowl and a Citrus Bowl during his playing career.

Grant has been in charge of finding and evaluating some of the best talent in Nebraska for the past five years, and he isn’t afraid to compete against his alma mater.

“I don’t get intimidated. If the player gives me a small window I go with it,” Grant said.

“A lot of people don’t know they play pretty good high school football over there. They grow up dreaming about the Huskers, and a lot of schools won’t even go in there and try to get players.”

“I have the attitude that Nebraska can’t take all the players, and there are players who are overlooked.”

Grant said one of his selling points is making recruits realize that they will have the opportunity to compete for the Cyclones right away.

“I can tell players that they will have a chance to play early and not sit behind five blue-chippers.”

JaMaine Billups, Bob Montgomery and Nick and Andy Leaders are all Nebraska products who are making a big impact for the Cyclones this season.

Billups is fourth on the team with 29 tackles, Montgomery has already helped block for a 1,000-yard rusher Ennis Haywood and Nick Leaders will start as a true freshman against the Huskers.

Billups was named the Nebraska football player of the year by USA Today in 1999.

He ended that senior season as a first team all-state free safety and second team all-state running back for Central High School in Omaha.

After rushing for 1,623 yards and 19 touchdowns, he wanted to play running back in college.

He chose Iowa State partly for that reason, but after serving as a running back and punt returner for the Cyclones for two years, he made the switch to safety earlier this season.

He’s quickly adapted and earned a starting spot.

“JaMaine came when we were 4-7,” Grant said. “He saw that he could play right away. Winning is important but a lot of recruiting has to do with the people. You can sell buildings and facilities, but they will still be here when the player leaves four or five years later.

“The question is: Can you get along with the people you are playing with? If football wasn’t here, would the player be comfortable?”

Billups chose the Cyclones over Nebraska, Michigan, Colorado State and Iowa.

“I felt more comfortable with the atmosphere,” Billups said.

“The players and coaches and the whole town is what I based my decision on.”

The junior said Grant and assistant coach Tony Alford both recruited him.

“Coach Grant stuck with me the whole way,” Billups said.

“When I first got here after the recruiting process was over, he was the one who always looked out for me since day one. I feel real close with him – maybe more than some of the other coaches – but the relationship is still strong throughout the whole staff.”

This weekend’s game will give Grant a chance to stay in touch with some of his Husker friends.

He said he won’t be seeing any of the players he recruited for Frank Solich, because they graduated last year.

“I have a great relationship with Frank,” Grant said.

“I was his first recruiter out of the state of Florida. I know him well and still keep in touch. I know their offensive coaches more so than their defensive, and of course I know the players that said ‘yes’ to Nebraska and ‘no’ to Iowa State.”