Education college requires full semester of student-teaching

Stefanie Peterson

The College of Education is now requiring some of its majors to student-teach for an entire semester.

“[Students] usually student-teach for their very last semester and have requirements for this course just like any other,” said Kathy Connor, adjunct instructor of curriculum and instruction and director of student teaching.

“They’re just learning out in schools as opposed to in a classroom.”

Students participating in student teaching have to learn how to budget their time and money while still in college.

Connor said students need to think about their student teaching like any other class.

Elementary education and early childhood majors have two separate courses, which are eight weeks each and include teaching two grade levels. Most secondary education majors have one group of children they teach for 12 weeks, she said.

“Student teaching is very time-consuming. The students are expected to do all the things a regular teacher would do, like parent-teacher conferences, helping with plays or being at games. There are a lot of night hours,” Connor said.

“We recommend they don’t work [a second job] or have a lot of extra activities but we do know for some people that is impossible.”

Gayle Huey, practicum placement coordinator for curriculum and instruction and director of field experiences, said most of Iowa State’s student teaching programs are 16 credits with a number of secondary programs providing 12 credits.

Huey said having a second job while student-teaching isn’t forbidden.

“A number of students have kept work-study positions while student-teaching,” she said. “They often work for people where they can come in and do weekend or evening hours to pick up workstudy time. There are lots and lots of jobs that are pretty flexible that you can have.”

But students are asked to make student teaching their first priority whether they have a second job or not, Huey said.

Along with paying tuition, Connor said, extra fees are associated with the mandatory course.

“There is a small fee for field experiences and that money pays the cooperating teachers that take these students on,” she said. “The state also requires an official background check and fingerprinting done to teach in our state and most others.”

Connor said student teaching is no more financially straining than being a regular college student. “There are no books to purchase and materials can be obtained through the schools,” she said. “They don’t have those extra expenses so it probably balances out.”

Financial aid is available for student teachers because the experience is considered an actual course, and students must attend seminars and meet certain requirements, Connor said.

Matt Bettis, senior in elementary education, said he has “mixed emotions” about donating his time to student teaching.

“I see people in other majors making a good, healthy amount of money for their internships,” he said. “On the other hand, I am getting prepared for a job.”

Bettis said his wife works full time so they received grant money to live on.

“Whether loans or grants, you can still get money,” he said. “For me, I got a grant because I’m married and am supporting two people instead of one.”