Learning communities offer resources

Emily Sickelka

Learning communities strive to alleviate some of the stress involved with the transition freshmen must make when coming to college.

The groups are composed of students with common interests or majors. Many take courses together, allowing them to form study groups and help each other with assignments. Some also live near one another in the residence halls.

“Our main philosophy is to ease the transition from high school to college life,” said Jim Holtz, coordinator for Biological Education Success Teams and adviser for botany.

Helen Olson, adviser of Agricultural Community Encourages Success, said although the communities may not be for everyone, it is a good resource for freshmen.

“I think it’s a good program for freshmen who want a little bit more contact with staff and faculty,” said Olson, academic adviser for agricultural education and studies.

Upperclassmen have the opportunity to serve as peer mentors to freshmen in learning communities, Olson said.

“Peer mentors can identify with the students and at the same time give them guidance,” she said.

Olson said social activities are another aspect of learning communities. In the past, Agricultural Community Encourages Success members have toured Pioneer Hybrid International, gone to a play at Fisher Theater, tailgated at football games, seen the virtual reality lab on campus and toured a no-till farm.

“Sometimes it’s just getting together for pizza,” she said. “[More than anything], it’s about getting acclimated to college and getting off to a good start.”

Jim Colbert, associate professor of botany and faculty mentor for Biological Education Success Teams, has formed the Skunk River Navy from members of his learning community. The group spends time picking up trash from the Skunk River. They also work with the state’s IOWATER program which teaches the members how to perform water-quality monitoring.

“I wanted to come up with a way for students to experience biology in the real world,” Colbert said.

Participating in a learning community can be beneficial to the faculty involved, he said.

“Simply getting to know some of your students is a benefit,” Colbert said. “You can be a more effective teacher in the classroom if you have an idea of where your students are coming from – that’s what I feel like I’ve experienced.”

Students who participate in learning communities can also take something away from the program.

Kenneth Uhlenkamp, junior in electrical engineering, participated in the electrical engineer learning community his freshman year.

“I liked how they had my first semester of college mapped out,” he said. “I got to know some people in my classes, and I still have classes with those people. It’s nice to know somebody.”