Food center’s new director wants to focus on outreach

Natalie Spray

The ISU Center for Designing Foods to Improve Nutrition has completed its search for a new director.

Paul Flakoll, who runs a lab and research center at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn., accepted the position on Aug. 30.

Carol Meeks, dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences, said starting Jan. 1, Flakoll will be responsible for research and design in the center.

Meeks said he will be looking at ways to enhance foods in order to help the body absorb the most vitamins and minerals possible. He will also be working with outreach programs on the campus level, statewide and nationally.

Flakoll said he hopes to improve the program already in place.

“My main goal it to take [the program] to another level,” he said. “They’ve done a great job so far, but I think being able to tie those discoveries to health applications will allow [the program] to be much more successful.”

Flakoll said he wants to make the nutrition center known to the scientific community.

“Being visible is the only way in which you can be successful,” he said. “It is really the bottom line.”

Wendy White, associate professor of food science and human nutrition, said Iowa State will be able to attract new projects and funding because the scientific industry sees value in the coordination of plant sciences and human nutrition research.

“[New projects] will benefit students because it all trickles back to the students. [They] get the monetary value of education they wouldn’t get outside of a major research university,” she said.

The center is anticipating a change of pace with its new leadership.

“People are looking forward to change. People want attention and the opportunity to change, and someone who can devote attention to them,” Meeks said.

Stephen Howell, director of the Plant Sciences Institute, said because Flakoll is an ISU alumnus, he has an understanding of the interest and direction of the university.

Flakoll earned his bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in animal science at Iowa State.

“Flakoll will be bringing new life to the program,” Howell said. “He has not only the capability to work well within the community but also reaches out to other nutrient areas.”

Flakoll has worked as an exercise and nutrition consultant for the U.S. Marine Corps, National Basketball Association, National Football League and Major League Baseball. Howell said that demonstrates experience in bringing programs into the community.

Flakoll will replace Diane Birt, who has received a $6 million grant to research dietary botanical supplements.

Birt was the chairwoman of the center for five years while at the same time serving as the head for the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition.

“I’m thrilled to see someone who has worked in clinical nutrient research because it will expand our expertise,” she said. “It will also help the center increase its research in human studies.”