Career Day prepares students for future

Stefanie Peterson

The Business and Liberal Arts and Sciences Fall Career Day will offer students a chance to network with employers, submit r‚sum‚s and conduct interviews for internships and full time jobs.

Heather Johnson Huntley, career development coordinator, said students should dress according to their goals for the day.

“Ideally, you should dress professionally on Career Day,” she said. “The goal determines what you should wear. If you’re a freshman or sophomore and you’re just going to see what Career Day is all about, just wear khakis and a nice shirt. If you’re hoping to interview for an internship or full time job, you should dress more professionally.”

“It’s really important for students to do research about the companies that are going to be there,” Johnson Huntley said.

Students can do that research online, she said. Information about visiting companies and what they are looking for are posted.

Johnson Huntley said students should practice what they plan on saying because it is important in communicating effectively with potential employers.

“It’s hard to go up to a perfect stranger and start talking,” she said. “You should be prepared to give them your name, major, graduation date and to make eye contact and give them a good handshake.”

Making an attempt to stand out from other students will pay off, Johnson Huntley said.

“Be prepared and professional. While it’s good to be remembered, you don’t want to be remembered for something bad, like wearing sweat pants or having bad breath,” she said. “Employers are going to meet lots of students on Career Day. You should follow up afterwards and let them know you enjoyed talking with them and are interested in working for them.”

Students looking for an internship or full time job should bring many copies of their r‚sum‚, Johnson Huntley said.

“A r‚sum‚ should include information about your education, degree and major, as well as any experiences that are relevant, whether they be paid internships or leadership activities on or off campus,” she said.

“No matter what major a person is, there are career services available on campus to utilize where people can look at r‚sum‚s and make suggestions.”

Beverly Madden, director of career planning and placement services, said career services aims at helping first- and second-year students with career-related questions and helping older students make a transition to continued education or the workplace.

Madden said a r‚sum‚ and cover letter are “tools in the job search process.” Cover letters aren’t needed on Career Day because interaction between employers and students provides the introduction a cover letter normally would, Madden said.

“[Students] have to come with a r‚sum‚ – it’s a calling card,” Madden said. “It helps to identify what you’re studying and what you want to do, helps the employer get to know you faster and tells them up front what you’re looking for.”

Madden said students can consult the career services Web site for information on how to create a r‚sum‚ in a particular field.

She discourages using templates on computer programs to create r‚sum‚s.

Charidy Hight, graduate student in education leadership and policy studies, said the Social Services Career Day provided social services students with an extra opportunity for networking. The Social Services Career Day, held Sept. 12, completed its second year at ISU.

“The Social Services Career Day is different in that it is directed particularly to students interested in social services careers,” she said. “Although there are social service organizations at Fall Career Day, there is a particular emphasis on them at Social Services Career Day.

“This is open to any major because it not only shows jobs that are available, it provides volunteer opportunities and internships of particular interest to psychology, sociology and criminal justice minors,” she said.

“It also targets toward environmental studies and forestry, religious studies, women’s studies and philosophy, or anyone with social services interests.”

Hight said students who are undecided will benefit from attending both Career Days.

“Attending both fairs is good for students who haven’t quite decided what career goals they have yet, aren’t sure whether they’re more interested in non-profit or corporate careers, or for people who are not limiting themselves to one or the other,” she said.