Threat clears library

Stefanie Peterson

Parks Library was evacuated early Tuesday afternoon after an unidentified person phoned in a bomb threat, university officials said.

ISU Police Cpt. Gene Deisinger said ISU Police dispatchers received a call at 12:44 p.m. claiming a bomb was planted in the library. He said the call was made from within the library.

Officers were immediately dispatched to the scene, but before they reached the library, a second call came from another building on campus, Deisinger said. The caller claimed four men with guns were roaming through the library, he said.

Based on our information, we ordered to evacuate,Πhe said.

Deisinger said the second call brought the original threat into question because the presence of gunmen and a bomb was unlikely.

He said library employees were ordered to manually activate the fire alarm to notify building occupants of the evacuation. A search of the building produced no weapons or people engaging in threatening behavior, Deisinger said.

We consulted Dr. [Olivia] Madison and our collective judgment was that it was safe to reoccupy the building,Πhe said. Madison is dean of Parks Library.

Deisinger said he believes both calls were made by one person. The first call was traced to the bottom floor¡s emergency telephone, he said. The initial search began in that area.

Deisinger said getting people to evacuate the building was the first concern. Some people were more responsive than others,Πhe said.

Pete Englin, dean of students, was serving as the emergency dean on duty and reported to the library when the bomb threat was received.

They¡re doing what they need to do to ensure the safety and health of the students,Œ Englin said while standing outside the library. We¡ll get to the investigation after that.Œ

Amanda Kolts, senior in pre-journalism and mass communication, was checking her e-mail on a first floor computer when the order was given to evacuate.

Students were fine,ΠKolts said. We are used to these things so we started filing out.

The police and librarians were not very calm ¢ they were yelling and freaking out.Œ

Jenny Omvig, freshman in general studies, agreed.

I was just walking through the door [into the library] and heard the librarians yelling, ‰This is serious! We¡ve got to get out of here,¡ Œ she said.

Students followed directions and evacuated calmly, Omvig said.

The Department of Public Safety has procedures in place for dealing with bomb threats and other events requiring evacuation, Deisinger said.

Library staff are being interviewed and anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Department of Public Safety, he said.