Bill on locking doors will be rewritten

Emily Sickelka

The Inter-Residence Hall Association passed a bill allotting $1,750 to a campus vote initiative, an attempt to get ISU students registered to vote.

The money will cover booths in the residence halls and on campus, postage, absentee ballots and other paper supplies.

“I think this is the most important thing we’ll do in parliament this year by far. This is the best place money can go,” said Linden Hall Representative Andrew Tugan.

Cathy Brown, campus planner for Facilities Planning and Management, and Doug Houghton, program manager for the Department of Public Safety, also asked for IRHA’s input regarding changes made to Wallace Road.

The point of the changes, Houghton said, was to keep students safe. “If it’s not reaching those goals, we have to talk about doing something different,” he said.

Andrew Walling, Government of the Student Body director of campus awareness, asked for IRHA’s help in identifying campus areas frequented by crows.

A bill asking for residence hall doors to remain unlocked was introduced, although Dave Breutzmann, Towers Residence Association president, said he would be rewriting it.

He said his views changed after speaking to Ginny Arthur, associate director of residence halls, about the reasons behind the door locking policy.

“I wouldn’t change my recommendation – just my reasoning behind it,” Breutzmann said.

An order to appoint Blaine Moyle as secretary and Carl Carlson as director of finance was also passed.