ISU choirs showcased in 23rd annual event

Jeff Mitchell

Choral music from the baroque period to contemporary Macedonian pieces will flood Stephens Auditorium on Sunday as ISU’s four main singing ensembles take stage for the Collage of Choirs.

More than 300 singers will be involved in the event, which starts at 3 p.m. and costs $3 for students and $5 for the public.

The 23rd annual Collage of Choirs offers a new group of students its first chance to sing.

“We have a lot to do to get ready, not only musically, but getting ourselves into concert attire,” says Jim Rodde, professor of music, who will conduct men’s group the Statesmen and mixed choir the Iowa State Singers. “The beginning of year makes it a challenge.”

Rodde says the variety of music should make the collage an appealing event, with renaissance, baroque, folk and contemporary music, as well as music from countries such as Bulgaria, Venezuela and Macedonia.

Kathleen Rodde, adjunct assistant professor of music, will conduct Cantamus Women’s Choir and Lyrica Women’s Choir. This will be the third year the Roddes conduct the collage.

Kate Bjorlo, secretary of the Iowa State Singers, says the choirs have put in a lot of time.

“Each choir meets from three to five times a week. We’ve been doing that since the beginning of the school year,” she says. “We also meet a little bit of time before the concert to practice going on and off the stage.”

Bjorlo, senior in psychology, says the choirs should be ready, but the short amount of time has meant they need every moment to prepare.

“It is a little bit grittier than it has been in the last few years, we could actually use another week on it, but I think it will be fine,” she says. “I’m excited for it.”